Switzer or Garn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter47201

Oct 26, 2015
Nashville, IN
Pro s and cons of both the Switzer and Garn? Warranty good or bad ? customer service ? Which is better ? I ve seen OLD threads on each but not recent. Please give any and all input

I don't know what a Switzer is, but starting my 3rd winter with a Garn 1000, burning dry pine, hemlock, poplar - No regrets here in Kent Ct - Garn has been in business for 25+ years, unlike some of the here today gone tomorrow brands -

Gary Switzer has always always built goof proof products.

I own the last CWW100 Coal Wood Water boiler 100,000 BTU that was ASME pressure tested for steam heating that he built in 1982 and I will be selling it when I install the
keystoker coal stoker this year if anyone is interested.

I have never had a problem with the CWW100 boiler he made.

He started building the bigger units in 1982 and the high efficiency wood burner is based on the steam locomotive boilers water jackets and multiple smoke passage tube designs which were a well proven design to scavenge combustion gasses to make steam and hot water for coal and wood fired steam locomotives.

Last edited:
The Switzer is better because it is a pressurized system. [Edit:] As Leon notes below, with proper planning a plain steel non-bladder expansion tank will work ideally if configured properly.

The Garn is better because it does not need an expansion tank.

From everything I've read neither outfit would ever steer you wrong.

Last edited:
Do you have a place for garry and his son in law to stay, not only does he build but installs and tunes the unit as well. Your ready to burn part way through the second day. Truly a class act.

Either unit is a good choice...if I was in the market today for a new setup, I would go Switzer, I just received some of there paperwork on systems and sizes, Gary builds tanks that are efficient and real nice to look at....

Pro s and cons of both the Switzer and Garn? Warranty good or bad ? customer service ? Which is better ? I ve seen OLD threads on each but not recent. Please give any and all input
I did a lot of checking on GARN. I talked to 3 couples who have used them for 20-25 years and all units are still working fine. Two couples are now in their 70's and still happy with the purchase.
Regards, Scotty

I've got the Garn WHS2000. I burn year round here in SW Missouri. I haven't switched the breaker on my two hot water tanks in two years. I love it. Simple mechanics and not a lot of smoke make it a great choice for me.

So far, the only regret I have is that Garn's former supplier of anode rods sent some faulty rods. Means I'll have to drain, clean and refill my tank. Not excited at all about that process.

However, the unit itself is working great.

[personally i would go with a closed system unless i got a really really good deal on an open one. There has been other issues where people have had to drain and clean the tank on there garn.

I've got the Garn WHS2000. I burn year round here in SW Missouri. I haven't switched the breaker on my two hot water tanks in two years. I love it. Simple mechanics and not a lot of smoke make it a great choice for me.

So far, the only regret I have is that Garn's former supplier of anode rods sent some faulty rods. Means I'll have to drain, clean and refill my tank. Not excited at all about that process.

However, the unit itself is working great.

Before you drain that Garn I would try rigging up a small pump of some kind to circulate water from the tank and run it through a filter.
You'll probably go through multiple filter cartridges but it will avoid having to dump your water.

Reactions: hobbyheater
This might be a drawback for the Switzer.. Q: What are the requirements for a building to have a Switzer boiler?
A: A building must have a minimum 8 ft ceiling, 12 ft width, and 16 ft length(although 20 ft length is more preferable). The Garn Junior could use a considerable smaller space being 7x5x5. Thats if that size model works for you.

Huff, you won't fit a Jr into that size space, not even with grease & a shoehorn. You need at least 2 ft behind it for plumbing, and a good 4 ft in front to open the door and load wood. You'll need to access the rear at some point [heat ex, circulator, etc] so you need a path down one side after the insulation of maybe 2 ft? Then the height, you need 7 ft, minimum to be able to stand up in there, get in the manway, etc. Minimum size i'd say would be 14 ft deep, 9 ft wide and 8 ft tall. Mines even longer, almost 20 ft, as I set 4x4 pallets right in front of the unit, and still have room to open the Garn door, load it etc.

Huff, are you changing out the eko?
Not immediately, possibly in the summer. Just checking out the options and costs.
Huff, you won't fit a Jr into that size space, not even with grease & a shoehorn. You need at least 2 ft behind it for plumbing, and a good 4 ft in front to open the door and load wood. You'll need to access the rear at some point [heat ex, circulator, etc] so you need a path down one side after the insulation of maybe 2 ft? Then the height, you need 7 ft, minimum to be able to stand up in there, get in the manway, etc. Minimum size i'd say would be 14 ft deep, 9 ft wide and 8 ft tall. Mines even longer, almost 20 ft, as I set 4x4 pallets right in front of the unit, and still have room to open the Garn door, load it etc.

I will have the space for a garn jr. or 1500 if need be .. also looking at froling. But if I was to buy Garn I would be able to free up the existing boiler room and open up some space for a man cave. The difference in our dollar is gonna really hurt. :(

I often wonder the same thing myself, they get the job done from two different approaches. If you could run a load of wood through each between now and next summer, go home mull it over, I think it would help.

That room dimension is just for one of the Switzer boiler sizes. He will build a boiler to fit in just about any space. If all goes according to plan he is going to build me a 700 gal boiler which will go into a 13 1/2 x 8 x 8 ' space.

That room dimension is just for one of the Switzer boiler sizes. He will build a boiler to fit in just about any space. If all goes according to plan he is going to build me a 700 gal boiler which will go into a 13 1/2 x 8 x 8 ' space.
Are the Switzer's all custom built? Do they have a "standard line" of choices for sizes/dimensions?

I talked with heaterman and Gary Switzer within the past week in my search and decision for a boiler. Heaterman says he knows he can get a Jr immediately, Gary says he's about 6-8 weeks out for his 1000 gallon boiler. Price is about the same for both. About a grand more for the garn. Atleast from what I've researched.

The website has his standard sizes. He will custom build to size needed also. I took a "family vacation " to niagra falls this summer and it so happened we had time to stop by his shop. He was a pleasure to talk to. His design doesn't have any fancy gadgets but it is very dependable.

Status
Not open for further replies.