switzers boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smangold

Feb 17, 2008
Northeast CT hills
So today I stop to see a local farmer , to ask him if he has ever seen a stainless milk tank kicking around. No he says but I got a farmers mag with some classifieds in it .Well no tanks but I found a adv. for Switzers wood burning system. The ad shows a boiler a little Garn like. So I called and left a message (no web) Don't you know he called me back in an hour. been building them since the 80's. Its a pressurized unit. I talked to him for a hour and was very impressed with everything he said. Then I called a guy with one about a half hour away that he gave as a reference ,and I'm going to check it out Monday night. Amazing, goes to show not everything is on the net. Has anyone ever heard of this unit. Scott

i saw gary's road sign when i dropped my daughter off at college,visited his shop and talk to him regularly , the only boiler manufacturer that will build one based upon YOUR heat loss , install , fire and tune before he leaves! honestly i dont know if i would have bought the garn if i had met him sooner

Het Scott could you post his info.
I'm still shopping for a boiler and the Garn is a front runner for me.
A locally built unit would be the best.
thanks, Ed

smangold,I dont think those menonite farmers will give up anything they could configure into a wood stove,gary switzer can get old propane tanks locally for storage.

I talked to that guy at length about 15 years ago when I was thinking about burning chips. I was really impressed with what he had to say, but I couldn't figure out how to guarantee a steady supply of chips, so I went with a chunkwood boiler instead. Tom Caldwell reminded me of that conversation awhile back. Sounds like a good idea. Let us know what you find out, smangold.

Well Ed and I went to look at the Switzer last night .Impressive. Think pressurized Garn with exhaust coming out the front, than power-vented into a chimney. Electro-mechanical controls for air intake and exhaust speed. Comes with a duct-board skin. Well made if very utilitarian. Same money as a Garn , 9K for a 1050 gal. The negative is if I go on vacation and it gets cool it well be a cold house. (thermal flywheel). But after thinking on it for 24hrs ,I think I'm going to pursue buying one ,for my garage attached boiler room . Then I don't have to chase the add on tank thing.

Scott,

i had a very busy day today but plan to call Gary Switzer the next day or so.
that boiler really impressed me (preassurized storage at 220*), thanks for letting me tag along.
Ed

Eric Johnson said:
I talked to that guy at length about 15 years ago when I was thinking about burning chips. I was really impressed with what he had to say, but I couldn't figure out how to guarantee a steady supply of chips, so I went with a chunkwood boiler instead. Tom Caldwell reminded me of that conversation awhile back. Sounds like a good idea. Let us know what you find out, smangold.

FYI :p the Switzer is a chunkwood boiler. Up to 42" long splits.
I spoke with Gary today and might buy the 1450 gal unit this spring.
You have to see this boiler to appreciate its simplicity.
It has the ability to modulate in a primitive way.
I'll have more to share when the brochure arrives.

Ed, well if you dont by a garn at least you are staying in the family with a switzer, all kidding aside i think gary builds a boiler that incorporates options that are valuable,1 being pressureized allows more storage with less volume through higher temps, no hx required to integrate into oil loop, air modulation,already insulated, a dwh coil and the owner calls you back! by the way smangold could tie a zone valve to close the wood supply line when the wood aquastat closes, isolating the wood loop from the oil loop then the oil aquastat takes over that system untill a wood fire can take over. when you take into account what gary incorporates into his price it is less cost than a garn. note, i am not dissing the garn, i think the fit and finish and the simplicity and proven track record are outstanding but i believe with switzer you get more for the money, thats all i got!

Amen to that Tom.
I just got off the phone with Gary.
that was at 10:20 after he called me back at 9:00 PM.
Anyone else here ever had customer service/sales this late?
I'm sold! Great product! Personalized service! Customized boiler and install!
Oh! and limitless storage!!!
Would I be foolish to consider any other product?
Unless someone here has better advice, I'm ready to sign the check.

thanks for any input....

PS Gary would like to help you with your attempt at Garn modulation. call him

Ed go for it. after thinking on it its a no brainer. Unless you are looking for a basement install its the best thing going. And even then maybe .

Ed, thanks for the info, i will call gary, things to consider, gary's boiler vessel is not astme rated and his appliance is not ul listed , i think this might bother the bldg dept, fire marshall and insurance man. However i dont think he has ever had one go chernobyl, also because it is pressureized and extra storage would be expensive, i would by the largest storage boiler you could afford, hopefully you know you heatloss, more storage just gives you more flexibility, with his boiler you have a high fire rate , thus the extra time required to heat it is minimal. did gary tell you that he has 4000 gal storage in his basement!

I spoke with Gary today about UL listing for my insurance company. No sense installing a wood boiler if you can't insure your house after the install.
Gary is mailing the info today. Anyone else have their insurance agent looking for UL ratings?
They tell me it doesn't matter if the boiler is in an out building but i really like the idea of loading the beast without walking in SNOW!

gasifierwanabee said:
Anyone else have their insurance agent looking for UL ratings?

No, they don't usually come out and look. But I've heard of insurance companies refusing to pay fire claims that resulted from a non-listed wood boiler which caused a fire. It can be a pretty big gamble, if a fire does occur...

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.