sycamore score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
It was after 1am this morning when we got called out to a tree in the road. Hoping for good wood I responded in my truck instead of the fire dept's brush truck. A huge sycamore had fallen from the rain. The brush truck with all the saws showed up right after me. Got a full long wheel base load of sycamore and got to use the fire depts gas and saws to get it and enough members responded to help me load it. Had to leave most of it. Sweet! Now its time for a nap though.

oilstinks said:
It was after 1am this morning when we got called out to a tree in the road. Hoping for good wood I responded in my truck instead of the fire dept's brush truck. A huge sycamore had fallen from the rain. The brush truck with all the saws showed up right after me. Got a full long wheel base load of sycamore and got to use the fire depts gas and saws to get it and enough members responded to help me load it. Had to leave most of it. Sweet! Now its time for a nap though.

I hope you have a hydraulic splitter! I didn't know what sycamore was until I split one by hand then looked it up. I $@%# hate those things!

Those are fun call.....Congrats! :)

I too immediately thought of the splitting. Good haul though.

this stuff split great. Wasnt bad at all. Split with a fiskars SS. No more than 12" diameter. Was green also.

oilstinks said:
this stuff split great. Wasnt bad at all. Split with a fiskars SS. No more than 12" diameter. Was green also.
Wow, must have been a straight-grained log. That stuff can get gnarly.

Probably because it was a young tree. Glad you got it split with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.