Sycamore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well, I burned some of the Sycamore for a few nights and was pleasantly surprised. Of course didn't last as long as a lot of other firewood's, but the ash content wasn't that bad and btu's seemed okay too. Would say burn time was about 60% of oak. Not too bad in my book. Kevin
After replying to this thread I hauled a small load in for the weekend. I like it for this time of the year. A little ash accumulated but I'm not complaining. I've had this sycamore for a couple years but my dad always said sycamore dried faster than anything else.
I've always remembered that incase I was to get into a bind.

So Kevin, you already had some sycamore around or just burned it green? The stuff I got was very wet. It must start at 60%+. But it probably lost 20% moisture in a few weeks.

If it's small enough not to split I might take it. I'm leaving some large chunks for about 14 mo and I bet they will be nicely seasoned.

So Kevin, you already had some sycamore around or just burned it green? The stuff I got was very wet. It must start at 60%+. But it probably lost 20% moisture in a few weeks.

If it's small enough not to split I might take it. I'm leaving some large chunks for about 14 mo and I bet they will be nicely seasoned.

This was limbs laying around dead at the base of the tree. It was probably dead on the tree drying for several years before it broke off. So well seasoned. 4" rounds cut into 18'' - 20" lengths.