Synthetic verses Regular Pre Mix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Bug

Nov 23, 2005
Clarks Summit,Pa.
Hi,
Does anyone have an opinions, good or bad, on the Synthetic Oil PreMix verses the Straight Oil Premix?
It appears that everything is headed to the Synthetic Oil Premix formulas now.
Thanks,
FireBug

I use only synthetics in my car, lawn mower and two stroke implements.

Used synthetic premix in my two stroke motocross race bikes for 25 years and never suffered a seizure. High film strength (and proper jetting) makes for longevity, not to mention smokless operation. This is 11,000 rpm nearly constant, for 45 minutes straight in a 125cc engine making 38 HP.

Creating synthetics from ethylene gas makes the molecular structure nearly perfect, eliminating rogue (short) chains.

You can read from now until Christmas on this issue. My mind is made up.

Greetings,
I have been using a Homelite X L 800 gor many years for cutting firewood. Last weekend I bought and mixed (synthetic) with exactly 1 gallon of 87 octane gas and the saw ran for 20 min before it locked up . Now I am in the market for a new saw or a replacement jug and piston. As for me I will NEVER use synthetic mix again !

Mike

mtarbert said:
Greetings,
I have been using a Homelite X L 800 gor many years for cutting firewood. Last weekend I bought and mixed (synthetic) with exactly 1 gallon of 87 octane gas and the saw ran for 20 min before it locked up . Now I am in the market for a new saw or a replacement jug and piston. As for me I will NEVER use synthetic mix again !

Mike

93 octane gas will prevent pre-ignition, which results in overheating, and prevents holes from appearing in pistons.

My father blew up my old Poulan saw. The carb became loose, saw ran lean, overheated and bye bye Poulan.

mtarbert said:
Greetings,

Mike

Funny you should mention that. A few years ago, I had some 40:1 synthetic pre-mix left over from the jet skis during the summer. So I filled up a gallon jug and headed out with my old Crapsman saw to cut wood. About 20 minutes later the saw started acting really funny, loosing power and finally died. Couldn't get it to re-start, so I packed up the few pieces of wood I cut and headed home. I tore down the saw to find the piston rings / cylinder were totally scored, saw had about zero compression...it was toast!

I have run that synthetic in my jet skis for years, and continue to do so without any issues, run synthetic lube in all my vehicles, and other places too (wheel bearings, rear end, tranny, etc) I don't think there is any issue with the synthetic oil as long as it is the right type. Definitely have to pay attention to the specific type / service qualities of the oil!

Corey

Corey,
Your reply with regard to synthetic oil is an interesting one and right on the money with what happened to my saw . As for me I'm wriring to the president of the company to see if they will make good on the damage. I'll let you know how it comes out .
Mike

You guys know that you shouldn't be using oil for a water cooled engine in an air cooled chainsaw, right?

mtarbert said:
Corey,
Your reply with regard to synthetic oil is an interesting one and right on the money with what happened to my saw . As for me I'm wriring to the president of the company to see if they will make good on the damage. I'll let you know how it comes out .
Mike

Are you serious?

How does the President know your saw did not have an air leak?

How does the President know you properly mixed the gas and oil?

How does the President know the carburetor was properly adjusted?

I urge you to do a couple of hours of research in the area of high perf two strokes and the oil that lubes them.

Greetings,

There are a couple of things you need to remember whether you are running synthetic or regular mix.
1) The mix needs to be correct ie 50:1, 32:1, 16:1. Not all saws use the same.
2) The carb needs to be adjusted properly.

I had a small poulan years ago that used 32:1 mix if I remember correctly.

As for the debate on synthetic vs. regular mix, I cut wood for a living and I use regular mix and have never had a saw seize up,
my saws tend to die due to other causes.

I have a husky 372xp that is almost 3 years old and is still going strong that was used everyday all day long until I got a new stihl ms460 so now I alternate between the 2 depending on what I am cutting.

Craig

mtarbert - I guess the overall point I was trying to make was that I was using synthetic oil, but it was the wrong synthetic for the application. If you got into a similar situation and used the wrong oil, there is probably little the company will do but laugh and say sorry. I guess it is always worth a try, through.

KarlP - Thanks for the info! Where were 'ya a couple of years ago :) As 'ol whats-his-name said, "I've never known someone with more useful information at a more useless time" :)

Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.