System Design Outdoor Wood Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirkp

Nov 4, 2015
Michigan
I have built an out door wood boiler to supply heat to forced air home and shop. The boiler is wraped in all cooper brazed tube in cased in poured refractory masonry jacket with water storage in the basement. The water will have glycol freeze protection.

I was planning a open system with a automotive type coolant overflow tank non pressurized at the highest point in the system to act as a reservoir and expansion tank. I do not want to add a auto fill valve because I want to be aware of water loss and not dilute the freeze protection. The system will not be fired on most weekends.

The system uses two pumps one in the basement return line at the 50 gallon storage tank and one in the shop which has no water storage tank. I am going to put a low water shutoff in the shop water manifold to protect that pump from running dry.

This is the system controls and there locations.

High limit snap disc at boiler outlet to control boiler induction fan

Low temp snap disc to keep system from running when not fired, not sure where to put this or what it should control

Aquastat at manifold inlet in basement to control boiler induction fan.

Flow switch wired in line with aquastat basement manifold

My questions.

Is the open system the best way to go?
Will the system stay purged of air in an open system, if not How should I build in a air purge?
Control wiring setup suggestions.
Are there any other design considerations

Hopefully you'll get some solid feedback. Share some pics if you've got them. The boiler room crowd tends to be very visual, myself included.

One item I'd offer up - definitely keep it an open system. The implications of having a pressurized boiler are pretty significant from a safety standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.