System Pressure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
I have a question regarding system pressure with my Eko 40 boiler setup. I have read and been told that the system should be set around 12 pounds of pressure. Does this mean 12 pounds when the boiler is cold or hot? Currently, I have 12 pounds of pressure when the boiler is hot, and when it is cold, the pressure drops to 0. If I boost the pressure to 12 pounds when it is cold, it jumps to between 25-30 pounds of pressure when it is hot.

I hope someone with actual plumbing knowledge answers this, but it sounds to me like your expansion tank is undersized or waterlogged. I don't think you should be seeing that kind of pressure variation. I'd be happy with 10-15 cold and 15-20 hot.

trumpeterb said:
I have a question regarding system pressure with my Eko 40 boiler setup. I have read and been told that the system should be set around 12 pounds of pressure. Does this mean 12 pounds when the boiler is cold or hot? Currently, I have 12 pounds of pressure when the boiler is hot, and when it is cold, the pressure drops to 0. If I boost the pressure to 12 pounds when it is cold, it jumps to between 25-30 pounds of pressure when it is hot.
I'm far from being a plumber, that said, how much water is in your system & how much expansion do you have? I start with about 8 psi & go to about 13 with 750 gallons total with about 120 gallons expansion acceptance. I do this to stay under 15 psi. The 12 pounds you hear is cold pressure. Cold is relative though & depends where you are starting from & going to temp wise as to how much ex. tank you need along with system volume. The Amtrol charts always give a starting temp & end temp. As the Mod. says it sounds like not enough tank or waterlogged tank. Run the numbers at www.amtrol.com, Randy

Another factor here is pump performance. I highly doubt the circ pump(s) you have are designed to run at anywhere near 0psi.

I find higher pressures will tend to help with air elimination in your system. Currently I'm running 17psi cold and I expect I'll hit 26-27psi at full temp. Last year I ran 14psi cold and typically maxed out at 25psi with 180+ water in both tanks. I have 120+ gallons acceptance on my expansion tank...

On a closed loop, pressurized system, with the boiler cold, you need enough pressure to assure few psi at the highest point in the system. Typical residential systems fill to 12- 15 psi. If cannot hold 12 psi cold, you may have a small leak? Does the pressure relief valve ever discharge? You may have an undersized or waterlogged expansion tank. With the system at 0 psi, charge the expansion tank to the pressure you intend to fill the system to.

If the pressure is dropping to 0 when the system is cold, the air scoop/vent likely also is admitting air into the system due to the vacuum being created as the system cools. You don't want to be admitting air into a closed system due to corrosion issues. You need a positive pressure remaining when the system is cold. Good advice in previous posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.