T Cleanout VS 90* Elbow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GearHd6

Jun 8, 2008
Northeast, CT
This could be a dumb question but.... I recently changed my 90* elbow coming out of the back of my Jotul wood stove to a "T" cleanout. Could this effect my draft? It doesn't seem like my fires get going very good anymore. I use to barely have to open my draft wheel to keep the fire going now sometimes I have to leave the draft wheel wide open or even crack the door. Is something else causing this or could it be the pipe change I made? Thanks in advance for any info.

Try using a smoke stick, cigarette or an incense stick to see if you're drawing air thru the Tee cap...
If you are, you're gonna hafta seal the cap better...

Ditto - check the fit/seal of the cleanout cap on the bottom of the Tee. If that's the only change you made, then it may just be the flue height itself is a problem.

Are you going thru wood faster? Or still able to cut it back and go thru wood at the same rate once you get the fire going?

It seems like the cleanout cap is a pretty tight fit. Its a slip male female type cap. The cap slides over the T about 2" and just attaches with 2 screws. I don't really seem like i'm going through wood any faster that I was before the change, maybe even a little slower due to the fire not going quite as good as before. Total flue height including the double wall stainless and the interior stove pipe are about 13'.

There really should be no reason that changing to a tee should cause that other than a leak at the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.