T Flue questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ibil4u

Sep 13, 2010
New York
Hey Folks,
I had a Harman P68 professionally installed late last year. I would like to clean the flue before I start the stove this season. 4 questions:
1. Is there a cover on the T that is connected to the back of the stove? I want to clean the flue from the roof but can't figure out how to remove the bottom of the T so the soot can be removed.
2. The short pipe, T and flue have a sealant around each joint. What sealant should I use after I remove the T cover to clean the flue?
3. Can I, and should I, clean the flue through the stove as suggested on a number of previous posts? Not sure if the P68 allows this.
4. Can I gently clean the temp. sensor through the front of the machine without having to remove it from the back of the machine-space is tight.

Sorry for all the nub questions. Any advice will help. Thanks.

ibil4u said:
Hey Folks,
I had a Harman P68 professionally installed late last year. I would like to clean the flue before I start the stove this season. 4 questions:
1. Is there a cover on the T that is connected to the back of the stove? I want to clean the flue from the roof but can't figure out how to remove the bottom of the T so the soot can be removed.
2. The short pipe, T and flue have a sealant around each joint. What sealant should I use after I remove the T cover to clean the flue?
3. Can I, and should I, clean the flue through the stove as suggested on a number of previous posts? Not sure if the P68 allows this.
4. Can I gently clean the temp. sensor through the front of the machine without having to remove it from the back of the machine-space is tight.

Sorry for all the nub questions. Any advice will help. Thanks.

Hi, I'll try to help a bit.

1. Yes there should be.
2. Silicone sealant rated at 500* or higher. You can get it in clear, black, red, etc. Some people prefer high temp flue tape as it is easier to remove in the future when you want to clean the pipe again. Either one works well. 3M makes a 600* flue tape that I like. Available at stores and online.
3. If you can get the brush through the pipe, yes. This is what I do. Some people disassemble every time but I do not.
4. I highly recommend removing the ESP probe. It is only connected with one screw and is quick to take out, clean with window cleaner and put back in. Putting the pipe brush in there could easily bend or harm your ESP probe.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

PJ-thanks for the reply. As to the T flue cover, there is a small screw almost at the end of the T. It was cover by the sealant. The cover/cap appears to be inside the pipe and flush to the end of the T. After I remove the screw, do I pry the cover/cap out of the T flue with a screw driver? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.