T-stat Compatibility Avalon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if I had bought it and then read those horrible reviews I'd take it back and exchange it for a different brand. It probably would work on your stove since it's just a thermostat which is like a switch, it simply turns the stove on or off at the set temperature. I dont think I would be very comfortable with the reliability of that unit after I saw those reviews not a single one was happy with the thermostat.

Maybe you could exchange it... There should be only 2 wires to your stove so hooking the wires up is very straight forward and its also in the manual.

Good luck,

So far I have yet to find a thermostat that says it has adjustable swing settings. the rite temp at least said that. Also it seems alot of these thermostats get bad reviews. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have been using a "Ritetemp" programable thermostat with our Lopi Leyden for 1 1/2 years and it works great.

Read the reviews for the model you purchased and it seems like the weak part is the touch screen. Many complaints about the screens going bad after a relatively short time.

Ours is NOT the touch screen model, it has buttons to the right of the screen, inside a cover plate, for the progrsamming.

I would look into exchanging it for a model that has buttons for programming.

Ranger

all of the rite temp models have horrible reviews on HD website

dhungy said:
So far I have yet to find a thermostat that says it has adjustable swing settings. the rite temp at least said that. Also it seems alot of these thermostats get bad reviews. Anyone have any suggestions?

I can't say enough good things about the Skytech 3301P programmable t-stat. It has swing temp of 3 degrees & works flawlessly.

Hello RichKorn

I am using a Honeywell 5-2 Programmable Thermastat but just as a Timer to come on at 3 AM and Off at 10 AM with the heat setting on the lowest setting # 1. See Pic below.

Please explain how you use your skytech in the shoulder seasons and exactly how the Swing Temp works. Also what heat setting do you use? Does the stove cycle On-Off alot?

Info from Skytech Manual Page 5 >> http://tinyurl.com/2wcu4ho
The thermo-transmitter operates the fireplace system whenever the
ROOM TEMPERATURE varies a certain number of degrees from the
SET TEMPERATURE. This variation is called the “SWING” or
TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL. The normal operating cycle of a
fireplace system may be 2-4 times per hour depending on how well
the room or home is insulated from the cold or drafts. A smaller
“swing number” increases the number of cycles so the room
temperature is more constant. A larger “swing number” decreases the
number of cycles, which saves energy, in most cases. The factory
setting for the “swing number” is 2. This represents a temperature
variation of +/- 2 0 F (1 0C ) between SET temperature and ROOM
temperature which determines when the fireplace will be activate. The
“SWING” number values are:
1= +/- 1 0 F (.5 0C ), 2= +/- 2 0 F (1 0C ), 3 = +/-3 0 F (1.6 0C ).

MANUAL CHECK OF “SWING” OR TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL
The operation of the factory set “THERMO SWING” can be checked by adjusting the SET TEMP 2 0 F above or below the room temperature.
This will cause the system to turn ON or OFF. Normally the system will only respond to temperature changes every two minutes. Manually
changing the SET temperature will activate the system in less than 10 seconds. If the “SWING” is changed, then a new room temperature
differential will respond. Factory setting of SWING temperature is 2 0 F.
OPERATIONAL NOTE: TO CONSERVE BATTERY POWER, CHANGES IN TEMPERATURE ARE ONLY RECORDED EVERY TWO
MINUTES. Additionally, to prevent repeated thermo-cycling of the gas appliance, the sensing unit in the transmitter will only activate the
remote receiver when the temperature change exceeds 2 0 F (1 0C ) above or below the SET (desired) temperature. However, if the
“SWING” setting has been changed from the factory setting (2 0 F /10C ), then thermo-cycling will activate at the new setting of the “SWING”
number.
MANUAL CHECK OF THERMO OPERATION
The operation of the Thermo setting can be checked on demand by adjusting the SET temperature 2 0 F above or below the room
temperature, which will cause the system to turn ON or OFF, respectively. Normally, however, the system will only respond to temperature
changes every two minutes. NOTE: if “SWING” number has been changed, then activation will occur at the new “SWING” setting.
When the gas fireplace system is activated, a FLAME icon will display on the LCD screen indicating a signal has been sent from the
transmitter.
OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS

Attachments

• PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 110SC.jpg
    PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 110SC.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 300
Swing temp= Set stat to 70ºF. Swing set to 2. Stove comes on at 68º and stays on until 72ºF.

dhungy said:

I have a Lux and I got it at HD. I have the TX500a and it has adjustable swing. 5 day 2 weekend programming. Had it now for over 8 years. Only changed the batteries. Paid less than $30.00 and its done what I have needed.

dhungy said:
all of the rite temp models have horrible reviews on HD website

Some of the reviews you only see the negitives. The possitives are happy and don't always write a review. I'll bet half just don't understand them and get PO'ed. I have installed Rite Temps for a few friends and I haven't seen a bad one or an issue.

richkorn said:
dhungy said:

I can't say enough good things about the Skytech 3301P programmable t-stat. It has swing temp of 3 degrees & works flawlessly.

X2

Hello RichKorn

What swing setting do you use? and with What heat setting on your pellet stove?

What temp do you set the thermostat in the shoulder seasons?

Don2222 said:
Hello RichKorn

What swing setting do you use? and with What heat setting on your pellet stove?

What temp do you set the thermostat in the shoulder seasons?

I use swing temp of 2 and stat is usually set at 68 so it comes on when temp at stat is 66 and stove goes off when temp gets up to 70. The time stove stays off depends on how cold it is outside. I am using programmable mode and set for at 11pm the stat setting goes down to 66 (comes on at 64, off at 68 while sleeping) and at 6pm comes back up to 68. Nice thing about the 3301P is that it's wireless and I didn't have to run wires through the wall. If I want the stove to stay on longer when temp gets up to 70 sometimes i just move the T-stat out into the kitchen further away (It's a hand-held unit that sits in a cradle on the wall) - or turn up temp at stat.

Right now I'm running stove at either heat settings #2 or #3 but when it gets colder I'll bump it to either 3 or 4 depending on outside temps. Yesterday the stove went out around 4pm and didn't come back on until 10pm. My house holds heat pretty well. I hear they have a new model out that has a backlight. Mine doesn't. Also the Skytech is designed for fireplaces/stoves.

Hello

Thanks RichKorn, thats good info!

Status
Not open for further replies.