t stat jumper for stove missing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alpinestars96

Jan 23, 2012
Western New York
I think my thermostat is screwy and wanted to go back to factory settings. Cannot find that jumper wire! If it turn the thermostat off I still can't use the settings on the stove like if there was a jumper wire in there right? If I cant do this can I use just any small wire?

alpinestars96 said:
I think my thermostat is screwy and wanted to go back to factory settings. Cannot find that jumper wire! If it turn the thermostat off I still can't use the settings on the stove like if there was a jumper wire in there right? If I can do this can I use just any small wire?

Any small wire should work just fine.

alpinestars96 said:
What happens if I then the thermostat to off? Its a cheap Honeywell.

Huh, if you have the jumper installed that stat ain't going to be seen by the stove.

alpinestars96 said:
What happens if I then the thermostat to off? Its a cheap Honeywell.

If you wanna run it like theres no stat, would would need to crank the stat up to the max setting so it doesn't get satisfied.

Just like having a jumper installed.

alpinestars96 said:
......was wondering what happens when I turn the thermostat off

By off, you mean to it's lowest temp setting? If so, the stove will not go to regular burn....it would stay on Lo.

Remember, the stat is just a switch...it's either "on" (temp setting is higher than air temp), or "off" (temp setting is lower than air temp).

By removing the stat wires from the stove, and re-inserting a jumper (any small diameter solid wire will work), it makes the stove think there's a stat calling for more heat, so the stove stays in Hi burn.

OR if you wanted to, unhook the wires from the Tstat and twist them together.

The stove settings are at 9-9 for the thermostat to work. Will the stove work using the controls on the stove if the t state is on the highest setting?

alpinestars96 said:
The stove settings are at 9-9 for the thermostat to work. Will the stove work using the controls on the stove if the t state is on the highest setting?

Yes, but what's the point of that?? The reason for a stat is to keep the house a steady temp. But if you think the stat isn't working, just remove the wires from the stove, and reinstall a jumper.

And even though Englander says to run the stove at 9-9, does NOT mean that's where it has to be set for a stat to work. That is just their RECOMMENDATION....you can set the stove to ANY heat-fan setting and the stat would still work.

alpinestars96 said:
I think my thermostat is screwy and wanted to go back to factory settings. Cannot find that jumper wire! If it turn the thermostat off I still can't use the settings on the stove like if there was a jumper wire in there right? If I cant do this can I use just any small wire?

any conductive wire will do, just trim a piece of stat wire off to make a jumper , or simply connect the two stat wires together to complete the circuit

further down i see discussion on what happens with the stat in various conditions. the stove runs "high/low" on the stat and it DOES NOT have to be on 9-9 to function, i suggest all the time to find the heat range /blower speed settings which work best for your application.

to the OP if you want to see if the stat and the stove are "talking" there is a way to test it, PM me a phone number (daytime) and i can call you to lay this out for you to try to see if they are communicating with each other, or call me 8-5 eastern at 800-245-6489

Status
Not open for further replies.