t-stat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfgmt

Feb 22, 2010
maine
This will be the first year burning the stove all winter, At the end of the season last year I just left the stove on its lowest setting and it kept the house toasty sometimes a little hotter than toasty I was wondering if i should hook up a t-stat or just see how it goes.Are there other people here not using a t-stat

bfgmt said:
This will be the first year burning the stove all winter, At the end of the season last year I just left the stove on its lowest setting and it kept the house toasty sometimes a little hotter than toasty I was wondering if i should hook up a t-stat or just see how it goes.Are there other people here not using a t-stat

I have a T-stat on both of mine and it is the best way to go. This way the room stays at the temp you set it for with out you have to manually adjsut the temp.

so the t-stat can actually shut the stove off then relight it

bfgmt said:

Yes depending on the stove - but the igniter gets more of a workout and probably won't last as long.

Some stoves also have a HI/LOW mode and it won't shut off, just go to a low setting until more heat is needed - then it kicks up. Mine doesn't have that it just shuts off and then comes back on. Adjust the swing temp to your liking. I use a setting of 2 on a Skytech 3301P.

bfgmt said:

If your stove is capable of self starting, then the answer is absolutely! You must have the thermostat terminals jumpered right now so just take off the jumper and connect the thermostat.

bfgmt said:

From some posts I've seen by Mike Holton the 25-PDVC/55-SHP10/55-TRP10 do not shut off.

When the tstat calls for heat the unit runs at whatever your heat range and blower speed you have set. They recommend 9 and 9. When the tstat no longer calls for heat the unit runs on heat range 1 and blower speed 1, but does not shut down. According to Mike, since the burn pot is not self clearing during shutdown, the control board had to be set this way for safety.

Makes sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.