T4 Alderlea - Good choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDfromRI

Nov 16, 2007
Northern Rhode Island
Hi Folks,

Been looking for an upgrade to my CFM FW240007 plate steeler rated at 26kbtu max and 1000sq.ft. It's good little heater but my main floor, at 1000sqft, is really too much for it on those cold days. I feel I need about 25% more average heat output. Additionally, the burn time is crappy, to say the least. I really can't get any useful heat after 3 hours on a single load, low burn and after another two, the coals are practically out. Sucks to be be cold in the morning...sucks worse to get up at 3 am to load up!!!

I'm looking for an upgrade that will both heat noticeably better and longer. I'd be happy getting reliable 7 hours burns. Pacific Energy stoves get a lot of great reviews around here so I'm considering the T4 because it's rated for 1500sqft and is cast iron. I also love the closer clearances of their design. Given my current stove, do any of you feel that the T4 would make for a good solution?

How much longer would cast iron radiate heat compared to the 3/16" plate steel of the CFM? Will that alone increase the heat output (both are small stoves so I'm assuming firebox volumes are similar)?

Thanks All,
-JD

What is the total sq ft being heated JD? The mass of iron and steel (5/16 top plate, 1/4" sides) on the T4 will definitely extend the heating period. But I'm getting the feeling in your neck of the woods that a T5 is going to make a much better difference. It is based on the Spectrum which gets exceptionally long burn times.

I have a Vista Classic, which is the same firebox as the T4. The T4 is just heavier because of the cast iron. The temperature dropped down to 24F last night. That's been the coldest night down here in Alabama so far. I know that is no big deal up where you are. My house is about 830 square feet. My stove had no problem heating my house, but I was thinking about the 1500 square foot rating. That may be a bit much for my stove, unless I constantly tended to it.

I would take BeGreen's advice and consider the T5.

Most people go a little bigger. I agree with BG if you want longer burns look at the T-5. You can always burn half loads on warmer days.

T6 would give you even longer burning times.
Might be overkill, but I would rather have too much stove that could be loaded and burnt on low, than a stove maxed out on high and no room for any more.
Depends how cold you get there, and if home is open floor plan or not. If not, T5 sounds like a winner to me.

I would also suggest the T5. Although the T4 may be rated for 1500 sq ft., it also depends on the heat rise needed. I ran a Super 27 (same firebox as the T5) in my ranch house and I obtained a 40 degree heat rise with about 2400 total square feet, basement and 1st floor. That was southern NH. Now we have the Alderlea T6 heating 1900 sq. ft (basement and 1st floor) but in northern Vermont. We get a 90 degree heat rise with that stove that is rated at 97,000 btu. When it is not to cold out, I fire it with 4 sticks instead of a full load and load every 12 hours. You can always stoke a smaller fire. The PE stoves are great for long burns - 12 hours and still coals in the stove.

Great information everyone - I appreciate it. I am trying to heat the first floor of a cape cod style home which is ~1000sq ft. When very cold, I am heating the second floor using my oil burner. Due to the relatively small size of cape's in general, I want the smallest stove that will do the job.

In northern RI last night, we hit about 25 degrees. I managed to get the far side of the house (opposite of stove) up to around 65 (it was 55 when I got home from work and it took until 11 to get "warm"). That was with the stove cranked and I was replenishing 16" lengths of white oak in as fast they burned. I can maintain about 500 on the stove temp if the damper is open full. The downside is that this stove on a medium damp hovers around 400. My thought is that the temp isn't so bad, but it's the lack of metal mass radiating that hurts and that it can only maintain that temp for a couple hours. After that, the plate steel temp falls like a rock. Don't get me wrong, we can hang out near the stove and enjoy cozy temps, but I hate eating dinner on the other side and shivering!

Based on what you're all suggesting, the T5 would do the job without a sweat. That may be the best route. But, could I get an 8 hour burn out of the T4 and still easily heat 1000sqft if it's 20 degrees outside?

Based on what you’re all suggesting, the T5 would do the job without a sweat. That may be the best route. But, could I get an 8 hour burn out of the T4 and still easily heat 1000sqft if it’s 20 degrees outside?

It's hard to know how well anything will work for this house without more information. How many square feet in total in the house? Some heat is going to go up to the second floor so it would be good to know the total sq ftg. How well insulated is the house?

Also, how do you want to operate the stove? Is someone home during the day to feed it or is everyone working? Do you want to burn 24/7 or evenings and weekends?

I suspect the T4 might do ok for 1000 sq ft at 20 degrees if pushed, but forget the 8 hr burn times at that temp. When it's 10 outside, the stove will not keep up. The colder it gets the shorter your burn times will be because you will be pushing the stove much harder. I'm thinking you will need the T5 with a blower based on what you are saying about burning with the Century. The blower is for quicker warmups in the evening if you are away all day.

Total heated square footage is about 1600sqft. 600 is on the second floor which I usually close off during the warming period. Insulation is moderate in that the place is 1950's construction and all exterior walls are insulated. We have new windows and doors throughout.

We are not home during the day so there is no one home to refuel. Now, we burn from 6pm to 6am and all weekend. I'd like to be able to do a low burn all day (9 hours) so that when I get home, it's warmer than 60 in the place.

Definitely go for no smaller than the T5. It has the longest burn time. If this is a question of cost, get a PE Super27. It's the same stove at heart, but without the cast iron jacket. A more expensive alternative that would satisfy your needs well would be the Woodstock Fireview. It's designed to cruise for long burns.

Thanks again - I will consider both the T5 and the Super 27. It's great to have a network of folks out there willing to share some knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies.