1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

T5 gasket problem

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by sblat, Sep 4, 2012.

1. madison

madison Minister of Fire

Loc:
    41.33°N 74.18°W and 44.67°N 111.0°W
    Semantics?

I was a little perplexed and actually called Rutland when the "adhesive" supplied with the white rope gasket failed so rapidly. They seemed clueless. That adhesive was rated to 1000 degrees.

The adhesive supplied with the graphite kit had completely different physical properties, and was rated to 2000 degrees per the labeling on the tube.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    Hum. I just looked at the tube of the Rutland cement I used to replace my gasket and it says its good up to 2000 degrees. If this is cement, what is adhesive? Does it matter?

Attached Files:

3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  4. madison

madison Minister of Fire

Loc:
    41.33°N 74.18°W and 44.67°N 111.0°W
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The Thermoseal gasket "cement" I have been using is rated @ 2000::F. It's a medium viscosity and works well. Some folks are using high-temp red RTV and say it's working well for them too. That stuff is only rated to 600F, but it seems to work.