T5 performance update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
The T5 has been remarkably efficient and consistent so far. Last night it was breezy and 8 degrees. At 6PM I raked the coals forward then packed the 2.0 cu. ft. firebox full. I came downstairs at 4AM and found loads of coals and the blower purring happily along. Stove top was around 250 degrees. The temperature in my home was 69 degrees both up and downstairs. I raked the coals forward and loaded the stove again and had secondaries lit in less than 10 minutes.. Lowered the air all the way down and headed to work..Getting 10 hr. burns with the T5 with good dry hardwood is very easy to do and feel I could probably go 11-12 hrs. easily. Interestingly wind seems to have little affect on my burn rate. I have no idea why this happens but it's a good thing! On another note I replaced the 3 back pumice firebricks in the back of the stove with hard ceramic bricks from TSC and I haven't noticed any difference. The bricks in the back take much abuse than any of the soft bricks so I will leave them there and will keep the rest of pumice bricks for the sides and bottom.

Ray

Hi Ray, sounds like she's working great for you, usually when the wind does not mess with your burn that means you have a great combination stove/chimney setup.
Sure beats paying the wallet robbing gas/oil/electric/... bill when the mercury drops:):):)

Todd

Reactions: raybonz
Did you end up replacing the gasket? I am big fan of forward raking myself, it reduces my wood consumption and increased my burn time by a few hours, literally. Isn't nice when your stove is running warm and cozy? ;)

Did you end up replacing the gasket? I am big fan of forward raking myself, it reduces my wood consumption and increased my burn time by a few hours, literally. Isn't nice when your stove is running warm and cozy? ;)
Haven't replaced any gaskets.. Are you asking Todd or me that question HM? I feel confident that this stove can keep my home warm in below zero temps which we get occasionally here..

Ray

Glad to hear your doing good with the stove.

Oops, too many threads in my head :) Someone the other posted a problem with their T5 and the gaskets. Pay no attention to that woman behind the thread......

hay ray, what is you avrg stove top tamp. My T5 seams to take at least an hour to shut the air down ( all the way right ) no smoke out of chimny and second d burn, before I feel comfortable leaving. Is it just me or dose smoke = creosote !

Why replace the bricks?

I am getting the same results Ray with my T5, i had to replace my rear fire bricks due to 2 of them being cracked, it was from me hitting them during loading. I have also modified my primary air, as was discussed in another thread , to close it off a little more. Its a great stove and easy to operate... mine is hooked to 16 feet of straight up pipe and heat a large ranch house pretty well. it sits in a large room around 500 sq feet .

hay ray, what is you avrg stove top tamp. My T5 seams to take at least an hour to shut the air down ( all the way right ) no smoke out of chimny and second d burn, before I feel comfortable leaving. Is it just me or dose smoke = creosote !

Why replace the bricks?
Stovetop normally runs between 400-650 degrees and I don't pay much attention to that to be honest. I focus on the stack temps and keep an eye on the secondaries those are the best indicators of good burning. As for the firebricks cracking in the back of of the stove either I or my wife got too ambitious loading wood thus cracking 2 out of 3 bricks. I decided to replace all 3 in the back with hard ceramic bricks and so far so good with no ill affects. Once your secondaries are going the smoke will stop. If your smoke dissipates with 10' or so it is probably just vapors and not smoke..
Ray

Sounds great Ray, how many splits are packing in there and what size?
I try to pick larger splits, rounds then pack smaller stuff in between, as much as possible but leave a space near the baffle.. You want air space but not a lot...

Ray

I am getting the same results Ray with my T5, i had to replace my rear fire bricks due to 2 of them being cracked, it was from me hitting them during loading. I have also modified my primary air, as was discussed in another thread , to close it off a little more. Its a great stove and easy to operate... mine is hooked to 16 feet of straight up pipe and heat a large ranch house pretty well. it sits in a large room around 500 sq feet .
Did you replace the bricks with pumice or hard bricks JM? Good to hear others are seeing what I see..

Ray

Stovetop normally runs between 400-650 degrees and I don't pay much attention to that to be honest. I focus on the stack temps and keep an eye on the secondaries those are the best indicators of good burning. As for the firebricks cracking in the back of of the stove either I or my wife got too ambitious loading wood thus cracking 2 out of 3 bricks. I decided to replace all 3 in the back with hard ceramic bricks and so far so good with no ill affects. Once your secondaries are going the smoke will stop. If your smoke dissipates with 10' or so it is probably just vapors and not smoke..
Ray

Is yours an insert? if so what speed do you run your blower?

I would still like to see what it's like driving three T6 stoves in this place. The T-Series stoves look so neat and the reported burn times are really impressive.

Ray
Thaks Ray,

Yes the smoke does dissipates with 10' or so. Thank you

Thaks Ray,

Yes the smoke does dissipates with 10' or so. Thank you
The vapors should be white not blue.. If they are white and dissipate in 10' you're good to go. You will see this more in the beginning of the burn..

Ray

I try to pick larger splits, rounds then pack smaller stuff in between, as much as possible but leave a space near the baffle.. You want air space but not a lot...

Ray

I am going to dig out some splits tonight in the carport as the first big row is all rounds and thats all i have been burning since this thing has been working right for me.
Then try out loading the T5 in this manner Ray.;)

Terry

I am getting same results Ray, i load mine around 6pm no higher than top of firebricks but wall to wall with dry hardwood. i am up early as i start work at 5:30am, this morning my house was 69 degrees and had good coal bed to reload. i loaded around 3:30 am... when i come back home at 3 pm fire will be almost out. but its a easy stove to get going again... thats pretty much been my routine.. i run around 650 top temp and my single wall can get hot if i dont keep a eye on it, i usually shut down in 2 or 3 stages try to keep pipe below 500 temp.

Reactions: raybonz and loon
Freestanding with blower running at low speed.. Only run blower when cold..
That answers one question I had; Sounds like it puts out quite a bit of heat even without the blower on. Another SIL just bought a house and would like to put a stove in. I don't yet know the exact layout or the tightness and insulation but it's only 1200 sq.ft. so the T5 might be a bit big for her in our climate? That burn time would be nice...she works long days. I think she might like an enamel stove, that's one reason I was looking at the Alderleas. I also wonder how much more wood it would use compared to a cat stove, since I may have to supply her with wood. _g I was kind of under the impression that the Alderleas were pretty stingy with wood, and could also be run at a moderate output if desired (although jetmech sounds like his runs warm.)

Its not my intention to run that hot but at times with a good sized load in firebox thats where it cruises, i dont think 650 is too hot for this stove, if it goes much above that i will run my blower and it cools quickly.

That answers one question I had; Sounds like it puts out quite a bit of heat even without the blower on. Another SIL just bought a house and would like to put a stove in. I don't yet know the exact layout or the tightness and insulation but it's only 1200 sq.ft. so the T5 might be a bit big for her in our climate? That burn time would be nice...she works long days. I think she might like an enamel stove, that's one reason I was looking at the Alderleas. I also wonder how much more wood it would use compared to a cat stove, since I may have to supply her with wood. _g I was kind of under the impression that the Alderleas were pretty stingy with wood, and could also be run at a moderate output if desired (although jetmech sounds like his runs warm.)

The T5 would work for her, but she would be running partial loads unless it was very cold outside. If all day while she's away burning is desired I would also look at a Woodstock Keystone.

i dont think 650 is too hot for this stove, if it goes much above that i will run my blower and it cools quickly.​

650 is pretty easy for this stove to hit with out the fan on. I usually run mine on low all the time, or atleast during the cold months. I feel it pushes the heat out better for my house. I can run mine at 600-650 with the blower on for an hour before it settles down in the 500 range. Holds coals for a really long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.