T5 Window Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raiderfan

Feeling the Heat
Dec 1, 2008
Western MA
So I just took notice again (first noticed it towards the end of burning last year) that the small gasket that fits along the inside edge of my glass (when opening the door to the stove) looks to be not sitting flush against the inside of the glass in some areas. It is still firmly tucked into each of the metal brackets where its supposed to be, but in other stretches it seems to be pulled away some from the glass, where not all of it sits flush (the part near the cast iron portion of the door is still ok, but the part that looks like it should sit flush against the glass is pulled away). ALL other gaskets seem to still fit very tight and the way they should.

Haven't noticed any differences in burn times or anything else, for that matter. Shutting the air down still significantly affects the flame behavior. So is this something that tends to happen to stoves (PE or others) in just one burning season (and I'm just a weekend warrior burner, mostly) and needs to be fixed or is it fine to leave as is? Thanks!!

I found the same thing with my 2nd Jotul. I didn't want to completely remove the glass, so the cure was to gently persuade the glass gasket into place with a thin, pocket machinists' ruler. Next time I clean the stove I will also be examining our glass gasket.

i just had to replace mine. only 1 season old. it looked like they streched it to fit cause they cut it short. my burn times and total control of stove is 100% better than before

is there something i can use to seal it against the glass? cement or anything? I don't want to "gunk" up the window, though.

Begreen: you don't need to remove the glass to fix this, do you? Its on the inside of the window, when opening up the door. You can grab it with your fingers. Or were you just talking about your Jotul, when you said "you didnt want to remove the glass?"

the new one wraped the glass on both sides and was self adhevisive

marreque said:
the new one wraped the glass on both sides and was self adhevisive

o.k., then that looks like what I need. I thought it might be self adhesive, (at one point in time), but it looks as though the two vertical stretches have peeled away from the glass, some. Did you get the replacement from PE, or did you just get a replacement gasket from a hardware store?

Actually came across this video on youtube when looking for info on this. Kind of looks like mine (mine is not as bad yet, though).

In that video there is nothing wrong with that gasket. If you look close the other half of that 13/16 gasket is between the glass and casting on the door, as long as it's still in there the glass is sealed to the door. The gasket is self adhesive but for only so long and with out a steel frame like on all steel stove doors Pacific Energy makes, it will peel back like that.

skinanbones said:
In that video there is nothing wrong with that gasket. If you look close the other half of that 13/16 gasket is between the glass and casting on the door, as long as it's still in there the glass is sealed to the door. The gasket is self adhesive but for only so long and with out a steel frame like on all steel stove doors Pacific Energy makes, it will peel back like that.

oh. good, thanks for that info. I guess there is nothing wrong with mine, either, then!

Skin is right, without anything sandwiching the gasket in place, that adhesive is only going to last so long, then burn off.
If the gasket is not leaking, no issues here.

Status
Not open for further replies.