Table Saw Dust Collecting Tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePellethead

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2007
Southern Maine
Hi all:

I just recently turned in my 25 year old small Craftsman Table Saw. Bought a new one oe two sizes bigger....wow how they have changed lol. Didnt buy Craftsman this time though. It came with a Dust Collection bag that mounts below the table for the sawdust to drop into. However.....theres still some that spits up with the blade right in the darn face. I put my shop vac hose right near that point and turn it on when I cut.....it has cut down alot......but was wondering if anyone had any cool tips of their own that works well for them.

Thanks....have a great day.

A really good system I have used is to remove dust collector and hook the shop vac to this spot. One of those switches that automatically turn on 2nd tool is great for this application too. Craftsman Auto Switch is one.

Ncountry said:
A really good system I have used is to remove dust collector and hook the shop vac to this spot. One of those switches that automatically turn on 2nd tool is great for this application too. Craftsman Auto Switch is one.

Thanks ! What horsepower Vac do u have?

AwsumSS said:
Hi all:

I just recently turned in my 25 year old small Craftsman Table Saw. Bought a new one oe two sizes bigger....wow how they have changed lol. Didnt buy Craftsman this time though. It came with a Dust Collection bag that mounts below the table for the sawdust to drop into. However.....theres still some that spits up with the blade right in the darn face. I put my shop vac hose right near that point and turn it on when I cut.....it has cut down alot......but was wondering if anyone had any cool tips of their own that works well for them.

Thanks....have a great day.

I make my own saw table inserts out of wood. You can make one for your regular blades and one for thin kerf blades. Just trace your metal insert on a piece of wood and after sizing put it in place, hold it down and gently raise the blade for a nice tight fitting insert. You can also buy plastic inserts and do the same. It will minimize the dust and of course you still should use a mask, glasses and hearing protection. Works for me.

of course......I like that idea colebrook......looking at them now online. I'll make my own :)

Ncountry said:
[Thanks ! What horsepower Vac do u have?

I think its a ~ 5 hp Shopvac[/quote]

Cool i have a 6 horse for the saws.

I have an older Jet table saw. I simply made a wood piece to fit in the bottom of the saw housing, installed a shop dust collector fitting into the wood piece, attached a 4" hose to a small bag dust collector, and now very little dust. The local home store had the bag dust collector on sale for $99 a couple of years ago. I also can quickly detach the hose and attach it to the joiner or the band saw, and grab that dust too.

I also have a ceiling mounted dust collector to grab the fine suspended dust, and use a face cartridge mask if I'm doing lots of sawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.