Taco 0010 or 1400?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medman

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jul 8, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
According to my flow/head calculations, my needs fall in the Taco 0010 or Taco 1400 pump curves. There is not much difference in price, so what would you recommend? Is the 1400 more reliable or robust than the 0010? This pump will be my primary circ and as such will be running most of the heating season. Which pump requires more maintenance? Costs?

Reliability is key for me. Those of you with experience please weigh in.

The 1400 series seem more industrial to me...... Being a seal-based pump, you always have the shaft seal as a point of failure.. But on the other hand, you don't have to worry about crud in the water eating up your circ bearings as you don't have any bearings in the water like you do on a wet-rotor pump......

I'm figuring my way through some similar issues for a wood gasifier + storage + water to air heat exchanger

I am really not convinced yet that I have to go as big as an 0010 or 1400, but am still figuring

and it raises the other question, which is that in terms of long run operating costs for pushing a lot of water, the ECMs are looking mighty interesting. like the littlest Wilo Stratos or the medium Wilo ECO. that way if you find out you can get by with pushing less water, you can ramp the power usage down to match as it is all tuned.

like the littlest Wilo Stratos or the medium Wilo ECO. that way if you find out you can get by with pushing less water, you can ramp the power usage down to match as it is all tuned.
Trevor,

I wonder if the circs could be set up with an OAC on a solid fuel boiler.
Will

Willman said:
like the littlest Wilo Stratos or the medium Wilo ECO. that way if you find out you can get by with pushing less water, you can ramp the power usage down to match as it is all tuned.
Trevor,

I wonder if the circs could be set up with an OAC on a solid fuel boiler.
Will

remind me what an OAC refers to?

I spoke yesterday with a great tech guy at Wilo Canada. sounds like the Stratos ECO residential scale unit is only programmmed to maintain constant flow or pressure, and is not adjustable by external input. On the other hand, the regular, bigger Stratos can be speed controlled by a 0-10v input. And the efficiency/ technology is very impressive- not only an ECM, but a carbon shell around the rotor to reduce eddy current losses, etc. Unfortunately, not cheap, and probably not-cost-justifiable in my system

Prolly not the correct description
I was trying to say if circs could be controlled by outside air temp, I thought it was outside air control. It doesn't seem from your post that it is a cost effective option at this time.
Will

Status
Not open for further replies.