Taco 0013 Starting to Fail

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trehugr

Dec 16, 2007
Greenwood, Maine
To my disappointment, the primary pump on the EKO is making some new noises, it sounds as if its about to go south. I have 2 questions

1) Is the way I mounted the pump causing its early demise? (see photo)

2) would a Taco 1400-20 be a better pump for the constant running this pump does and will it bolt easily in place of the 0013 ?

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 419
You've got it mounted wrong.

Doubt if it's cooked, but rotate it 90 degrees and see if it sounds any better.

The vertical orientation is hard on the bearings.

I ran a 007 mounted like that (a cast iron circulator pumping DHW, BTW) for 3 or 4 years and it never failed or made noise. So all may not be lost. But the installation instructions clearly state that the can needs to be horizontal. At least the Grundfos instructions do.

I have the 1400-20 on my system. It is supposed to be more robust and easier to service than the cartridge based circulators which is why I bought it. Price was about the same.
The can needs to be horizontal, and the 1400-20 will fit on your existing flanges. You can rotate your flanges or get a circulator with the flanges rotated 90*.
See if you can rebuild the 0013. it would make a good backup for the future.

Sorry to see your flanges are the swivel kind. The boys at Cozy Heat sent me Bell & Gossett ball valves with flanges and I thought they are pretty slick. They would work real good in your case. Just loosen the nuts and turn 90 degrees.

Good luck

Eric Johnson said:
I ran a 007 mounted like that (a cast iron circulator pumping DHW, BTW) for 3 or 4 years and it never failed or made noise. So all may not be lost. But the installation instructions clearly state that the can needs to be horizontal. At least the Grundfos instructions do.

Sometimes I wonder how I got this far in life.... Im bummin now

Here is Tacos idea of mounting positions. As far as Im concerned, there is alot left to the imagination

Attachments

• positions.jpg
    positions.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 409
Here is Tacos idea of mounting positions.

Looks to me like one of those IQ tests where you have to say why one group is different from another.

Except I'm not looking too bright right now.

Some of those on the right have their shafts horizontal. Maybe one of the pros can explain the rationale.

DaveBP said:
Here is Tacos idea of mounting positions.

Looks to me like one of those IQ tests where you have to say why one group is different from another.

Except I'm not looking too bright right now.

Some of those on the right have their shafts horizontal. Maybe one of the pros can explain the rationale.
I believe the idea is to keep the electrical connections high and dry.

and you dont want it pumping down. that way the bubbles will not purge out very well because the pump is trying to send them down but bubbles want to rise.

I'll admit--that's pretty confusing.

When I moved in to my present home the first winter was hell. The oil boiler was directly under my bed in the basement. The sound of the burner was no problem but when the zone circulators came on it was like being inside on of my stereo speakers. The professionally installed circulators were on the output (hot) side and were mounted "motor down" and were supported by a threaded rod attached to the ceiling. I went down to the auto parts store and purchased a rubber exhaust pipe hanger and isolated the piping from the floor, all the while looking right past the real problem. The hanger helped and I did get some sleep.

It wasn't until I was installing my Eko circulator that the problem came to light. I rotated the circulators 90* on the oil boiler but I haven't run them since so I don't know if they suffered any permanent damage. My oil and wood systems are completely separate from one another. They are hooked up to baseboard and the Eko supplies the radiant. I didn't want to make it complicated because I have cancer ond when I'm gone my wife won't be burning wood.

Ok, I turned the pump 90º and it seems to be Ok. Still bummed that I installed my most important pump wrong.

Been there & done that, Kev. I think we all have in one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.