Taco 010 -3 circulator setting question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rcollman

Dec 13, 2008
Northern NH
In another thread I read
Finally, the biggest issue I had in getting my tanks up to temp after consuming 3-4 loads of wood turned out to be that my Taco 010 -3 speed pump operating on HIGH was providing too much flow through the boiler. After a month or so of operation I recalculated my gpm/head figures and discovered that I should be running the circ. pump on the low speed setting (4’ of head and 13.6 GPM). Once I made this change I immediately doubled my BTU input into the tank (from approx. 50K BTU/HR to 103K BTU/HR).

I don't have storage, I do have 2 Taco 007 F5 IFC circulators, one on each zone which were there with my old wood boiler, pre Solo40. Never had an issue in heating my 2 story house (Solo40 is on ground floor) which is 75% on one zone. I have a Grundfos 58fc 3 speed that pumps into the Solo40. It is set to high. A long story on why it was set that way from the get go.

Will I get any benefit from setting it lower? What should I look for? And of course how much overthinking am I doing !

If I understand the "head", that would be the distance from the pump to the highest point in the system, plus the friction of the pipe. Geeze Louise, am I going to have to count all the bends, pipe diameters, and different radiators and their lenghts and stuff :)

This is such a excellent forum. Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.