Taco 3 Zone Switching Relay w/ Priority SR503-2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
A am planning to order a Taco 3 Zone Switching Relay w/ Priority SR503-2. It will run three pumps, activated by thermostats.

What if any are the considerations for the expandable model? This may be the time to buy the EXP Model?

It appears that the PC610: Pump Exercise Plug-In Card may be a plus if I am away from the boiler for extended times and am worrying about freeze-up.

If I did not buy the card for the exp model is there another simple way to set up an exercise program for the pumps at an interval of my choosing?

I have the same desire...a timer which is triggerable such that the timer starts counting when the AC power goes off....and after being off for a set period of time, it turns on the pumps for a set period. SO, after the pumps have been off for say 1 hour, I can turn the pumps on for say 30 seconds. If we are 45 minutes into the countdown, and a call for heat triggers the pumps to turn on, then this resets the counter....which begins to countdown again when the pumps are turned off by the removal of the call for heat. This would assure me that the plumbing won't ever freeze....

I think a Magnecraft timer/counter is in the right direction...but I haven't hunted down a specific model yet.

My understanding of the "exercise" feature on some controls, at least, is for the off season to run the circulator/s every few days for a few minutes to keep them from crudding up from lack of use and being hard to get going again come next heating season.

You'd want to make sure the programmability range of the feature you have in mind is able to cycle as often as you would need it to for freeze protection during cold weather.

I think I have a 4 zone lying around....Cheap and brad new Pm me if interested.

DaveBP said:
My understanding of the "exercise" feature on some controls, at least, is for the off season to run the circulator/s every few days for a few minutes to keep them from crudding up from lack of use and being hard to get going again come next heating season.

You'd want to make sure the programmability range of the feature you have in mind is able to cycle as often as you would need it to for freeze protection during cold weather.

Thanks Dave,

Taco list the anti freeze cycle as Freeze Protection - 4 min.run time/1 hour.

bpirger said:
I have the same desire...a timer which is triggerable such that the timer starts counting when the AC power goes off....and after being off for a set period of time, it turns on the pumps for a set period. SO, after the pumps have been off for say 1 hour, I can turn the pumps on for say 30 seconds. If we are 45 minutes into the countdown, and a call for heat triggers the pumps to turn on, then this resets the counter....which begins to countdown again when the pumps are turned off by the removal of the call for heat. This would assure me that the plumbing won't ever freeze....

I think a Magnecraft timer/counter is in the right direction...but I haven't hunted down a specific model yet.

Thanks Bruce, I went to Magnecraft's site. Looks like a stand alone system may be better and more customizable. I will have some reading to do tonight. Freeze protection will not be a problem unless I leave for an extended period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.