TACO Bumble Bee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coal Reaper

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2012
NJ
anybody have any experience with this yet? with slant fin baseboards, might it be beneficial for one to set this up to regulate a constant return temp (140/150*?) sent back to storage? the thought is that most of the water in storage would be cycled through only once before needing to be recharged. i imagine it might be good for stratification?
or would delta T be better?

Just started a system this week with 10 of them, N gas con wall hung boilers. Have not set up the delta t function on the injection risers yet. [running CP for now] But, so far, so good.

Just started a system this week with 10 of them, N gas con wall hung boilers. Have not set up the delta t function on the injection risers yet. [running CP for now] But, so far, so good.

I like the 4 possible settings:
CP - Constant Power (Fixed Speed): Allows for 4 fixed circulator speeds.
SP - Setpoint (Variable Speed): Allows for a fixed supply temperature from 65°F to 220°F.
dE - Delta-T, Differential Temperature (Variable Speed): Allows for a fixed system temperature differential (dT) from 5°F to 50°F.

Since when are they available?
Any known problems with them?

Also nice it that it gives you the GPM. So there must be some sort of a flow meter inside the device.
Knowing the flow and the supply/return temp, you can basically calculate your BTU/hr

Is there any interface to the outside to make it a BTU meter?

10 wow. Let us know wen u start playing.

I like the ... possible settings:
SP - Setpoint (Variable Speed): Allows for a fixed supply temperature from 65°F to 220°F.
dE - Delta-T, Differential Temperature (Variable Speed): Allows for a fixed system temperature differential (dT) from 5°F to 50°F.
Yet it looks like somehow they failed to consider the possibility of 'cooling mode' where increased speed causes decreased temperature.

I'd be interested in trying one for boiler return temperature protection to control the injector pump, but unless I've missed something in the documentation there does not exist a mode that could be used for that.

Yet it looks like somehow they failed to consider the possibility of 'cooling mode' where increased speed causes decreased temperature.

I'd be interested in trying one for boiler return temperature protection to control the injector pump, but unless I've missed something in the documentation there does not exist a mode that could be used for that.

Yes, boiler return temperature protection came to my mind also. Just the $190 price tag, electrical wiring, .. it adds up.
For my applications I stick with a LK810 valve.

I'm very interested in getting that GPM signal in one or another way.
The most economical priced flow meters (in-line) are around $450. The you need some thermocouples a microprocessor, a display
This would bring the cost for a BTU-meter way down.

Would be nice if they could offer this as an option.
They have everything there.

Yes, boiler return temperature protection came to my mind also. Just the $190 price tag, electrical wiring, .. it adds up.
For my applications I stick with a LK810 valve.

I'm very interested in getting that GPM signal in one or another way.
The most economical priced flow meters (in-line) are around $450. The you need some thermocouples a microprocessor, a display
This would bring the cost for a BTU-meter way down.

Would be nice if they could offer this as an option.
They have everything there.

The flowmeters used for solar systems, up to 10 gpm, are fairly accurate and well under 100 bucks. Add a solar differential controller with heat quanity metering function, most include that. The control could run one or multiple pumps and vary the speed. The whole package would be under 300 bucks. Dual pump control, differential and setpoint, variable speed, and BTU monitoring.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-02-18 at 10.28.40 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-02-18 at 10.28.40 PM.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 447
The flowmeters used for solar systems, up to 10 gpm, are fairly accurate and well under 100 bucks. Add a solar differential controller with heat quanity metering function, most include that. The control could run one or multiple pumps and vary the speed. The whole package would be under 300 bucks. Dual pump control, differential and setpoint, variable speed, and BTU monitoring.
how have the digital flow meters (grundfos I believe) working? I have one on my drainback system, but have yet to get the $30 cable to connect it to my BX controller.

rather than boiler protection, i was thinking of using the constant temp capability of the pump to slow down flow in fin tube and extract all of the "usable" BTU's out of the hot water before it goes back to storage. is this asinine?

rather than boiler protection, i was thinking of using the constant temp capability of the pump to slow down flow in fin tube and extract all of the "usable" BTU's out of the hot water before it goes back to storage. is this asinine?

I guess I'm confused about the end game of savings here. So the goal is to slow down your flow to baseboards.. to extract maximum heat from the water before returning to storage. So, the only "savings" would be in electricity right? As the return to storage temp being higher isn't a factor.. the BTUs are in the water, and inside the home.. so nothing being "lost"

The savings being lower electric cost to run the pump slower... correct?

I'd be curious to see how long the payback would be on the increased cost for the pump vs. electric costs. I guess you could figure it at min current draw vs a standard 007 or something.

JP

I'm thinking it's along the lines of being able to slow the flow as your supply temps drop - thereby getting more heat out of the lower temp water than if under constant speed which would return colder water to bottom of storage therefore in turn extending your 'usable' storage capacity. I.e. in a somewhat-similar way that radiant floor heat extends usable storage by being able to use lower temp water.

I guess I'm confused about the end game of savings here. So the goal is to slow down your flow to baseboards.. to extract maximum heat from the water before returning to storage. So, the only "savings" would be in electricity right? As the return to storage temp being higher isn't a factor.. the BTUs are in the water, and inside the home.. so nothing being "lost"

The savings being lower electric cost to run the pump slower... correct?

I'd be curious to see how long the payback would be on the increased cost for the pump vs. electric costs. I guess you could figure it at min current draw vs a standard 007 or something.

JP

yes, and i feel like you would have a more consistent supply temp for a longer period of time if it is not being cycled as fast. but does this matter for anything?

I'm thinking it's along the lines of being able to slow the flow as your supply temps drop - thereby getting more heat out of the lower temp water than if under constant speed which would return colder water to bottom of storage therefore in turn extending your 'usable' storage capacity. I.e. in a somewhat-similar way that radiant floor heat extends usable storage by being able to use lower temp water.

my thought was to put the temp sensor on the return line. this would increase the flow as water temperature dropped in order to maintain the same (constant return temp) BTU transfer to house of higher temp water at lower flow. this is what i am questioning if it helps extend usable storage capacity.

my thought was to put the temp sensor on the return line. this would increase the flow as water temperature dropped in order to maintain the same (constant return temp) BTU transfer to house of higher temp water at lower flow. this is what i am questioning if it helps extend usable storage capacity.
AHA! I see.. So if you currently had your storage quit supplying heat at 150.. because of poor baseboard performance... or not being able to maintain set temp in the house...

You were hoping that an increased flow speed would overcome the reduced efficiency of baseboard.... and be able to run your storage to lower temps.

My limiting factor is my DHW.. I have it set to 132. So I can run my storage down to 135. I guess those with baseboards would be calling it quits at a higher temp.

Only one way to find out..... try it! :)

JP

EUREKA!
with regaurds to DHW, i am going to have the problem with any pump. my DHW takes priority when it calls for heat. after it is satisfied then the rest of the zones resume. i think if needed bumble bee would just jack up the flow to transfer more BTU's by simply maintaining that set temp point on the return.
i think where BB would really shine is in delta T mode with heat exchangers.

update to an old post....

i am very happy with the BB. using it to send water from storage in barn to heating loop in house. using set point mode it takes shy of 2 minutes to clear about 230' of 1-1/4" pex. runs 42 watts at 16.5gpm until return temp reaches 140* and then it backs off to 9-12 watts to maintain that temp going back to storage at about 5gpm. only problem is it is a little loud at the higher speed, kind of a whirring noise. the 007 is silent in comparison. i have not played around with the delta T mode. will have to wait til it gets cold again to see if it is capable of moving enough BTUs from storage to effectively heat house.

I still LOVE America! We are mostly free to do what we want, and see the results for ourselves! Great post CR, thank you for posting your results.

TS

I'm still waiting for Taco to update the bumblebee so it has reverse acting capability.....

Reactions: BoilerMan
Wow, those big ball valves must have been expensive just to drop down to 1" pipe right after.

What is that green "tee" fitting? It appears both lines go into it?

ac
had an abundance of those I have acquired. still have a few left over. wanted shortest length of smaller diameter pipe as possible to minimize head. seems to be doing just fine.
that's a close t fitting. adds and removes water from the house loop. the BB and 007 for house only run at the same time. there is a divider inside to keep the supply water from mixing with the return water before it goes through the system. http://seek.autodesk.com/product/latest/agg/taco/Taco/TacoTwinTee

had an abundance of those I have acquired. still have a few left over. wanted shortest length of smaller diameter pipe as possible to minimize head. seems to be doing just fine.
that's a close t fitting. adds and removes water from the house loop. the BB and 007 for house only run at the same time. there is a divider inside to keep the supply water from mixing with the return water before it goes through the system. http://seek.autodesk.com/product/latest/agg/taco/Taco/TacoTwinTee
Nothing cheaper than free!

Cool. I was wondering if that was what that was. Very neat and really simplifies the plumbing.

ac

Status
Not open for further replies.