TACO i series

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emesine

Apr 24, 2009
Indiana
Anyone have any experience with the TACO i series mixing valves?

I need a Cv of around 10 gpm, which I can get nicely with a TACO 4 way i series mixing valve (and it is digital, how cool is that?) Does anyone have any experience with this device? Will it fail? It come to mind that if the darned thing does freeze up, I will have 180F water going through my floors, hot enough to do permanent damage.

Andrew

No experience, but Taco does have a reputation for making pretty good stuff... I would imagine if it did freeze up it would do so in some intermediate position, i.e. where it usually runs, so hopefully you wouldn't see overly hot water hitting your floor... The other thing that might be worth checking w/ Taco tech support is if there might be a particular "fails to" position, and if so, taking that into account when deciding how to plumb the valve in...

Gooserider

Goose,

With the design of my system, when the boiler is NOT firing, the mixing valve will be fully open. Unfortunately, that means it is likely to freeze in the fully open position. That means sometime in the next 20 years I am going to fire up my boiler and get 180F water in my wood floors.... which is a problem. Cooked wood, not to mention cooked kids.

I am going to add a temperature sensor on the thermostat to limit the floor temp to ~100F. In the event of a failure it should shut the system down.

As usual, thanks for your information!

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.