Take a look at the burn pattern on my top plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbalto

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Look normal?

2009 Jotul Castine vents into 23' class a out the back.

I've been able to get the top plate up to 600+ but it takes a fair amount effort, even when using biobricks and kiln dried firewood. I think BeGreen mentioned that he had an issue with a 3cb where the top gasket didn't sit properly and it would result in cool stove top temps. A new gasket made all the difference.

I pulled the top plate off tonight and found this:

DSC00868.jpg

DSC00867.jpg

DSC00866.jpg

Does this look out of the ordinary?

Notice the dark area on the bottom picture. Very different from the other side. Also the black creosote in corner (top pic).

Looks like a small air leak there.

For the record, ours looked much worse. The solution was not a replacement gasket. It was putting the top back on square to the body of the stove. This looks like a different problem.

In this situation it looks like there is a local sealing issue. Is the gasket loose in the corners showing the black glaze? If so, I would pry up the gasket in the corner and squeeze a little silicone adhesive under it to improve the seal. Also look at the mating casting on the main body of the stove to confirm that it is smooth and level for a good gasket contact.

Hey BeGreen, hope all is well.

Yea, I'll certainly pull up the gasket a bit and drop some silicone in where it's showing the black glaze. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.