Take Me To Your Wood Shed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenWater

Aug 30, 2009
Catskills
Seeing I'm getting ready to start storing NEXT year's wood (insert huge thanks for advice from this forum), I'd love to see how you all store your wood. So let's see your wood shed! Pictures, descriptions, sizes, inside/outside...bring it!

I'm a weekender, so I won't be stoking a fire 24/7. I'm thinking an 8' - 10' rack in my basement next to the stove, and something bigger (rack? shed?) outside. My community has strict guidelines on 'other buildings' on the property, so I'm thinking a rack is more suitable. I'm guessing many of you have made your own storage facilities; I'd love to hear input on that as well.

Cheers,

Chris

As requested, you are now in the Wood Shed forum. There are lots of pictures here of different woodsheds.

Here's a couple of mine. It now has a little lattice work on the front, too, but I do not have an updated pic. It's 16'x8'.

shed_1.jpg

shed_2.jpg

I used metal fence posts (total of 12) to make 8' rows. I have four 8' rows on each side of the shed for a total of 8 rows. That gives me 8 face cord as long as I don't exceed the height of the posts. I laid it out this way so that I could get a better idea on exactly how much wood use we average in a given winter and to provide stability when stacking.

BeGreen said:
As requested, you are now in the Wood Shed forum. There are lots of pictures here of different woodsheds.

Can you send me to California please? I've never been there.

Dune said:
BeGreen said:

You don't wanna come here right now. It's farkin' hot and it seems like half the bleepin' state is on fire. Wait 'till Feb. or March when it's bleepin' cold in the Northeast and Midwest and then come out here in the springtime when the weather is PERFECT.

Peace,
- Sequoia

TreePapa said:
Dune said:
BeGreen said:

You don't wanna come here right now. It's farkin' hot and it seems like half the bleepin' state is on fire. Wait 'till Feb. or March when it's bleepin' cold in the Northeast and Midwest and then come out here in the springtime when the weather is PERFECT.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Thanks for the good advice brother. Next time free transportation is offered will hopefully be spring.

Ok, I just lost a bet to myself :)
I would have surely thought that there would be a pic of Ricks shed in here by now :)
Or, should I say "wood housing quarters"......just kidding Rick, only cause I am jealous of your woodhome

Here is my wood shed. It is called Mother Nature.

You'll see 16' rows and a total of 9 cords of wood. This was all done last winter and spring, finishing in early April. The wood is stacked on small poles that were cut in our woods; no posts used; nothing bought; just what we have here. The wood will be covered in November or December with old galvanized roofing and the wood will be burned probably in the 2016-2017 winter. It will be well seasoned and will burn like a charm.

Wood-2009c-1.gif

Backwoods Savage said:

You'll see 16' rows and a total of 9 cords of wood. This was all done last winter and spring, finishing in early April. The wood is stacked on small poles that were cut in our woods; no posts used; nothing bought; just what we have here. The wood will be covered in November or December with old galvanized roofing and the wood will be burned probably in the 2016-2017 winter. It will be well seasoned and will burn like a charm.

Wood-2009c-1.gif

Show off!

Haven't taken a pic since last winter but it looks the same now without the snow. Just nine cords of hardwood and a big ole sheet of EPDM rubber roofing.

Attachments

• wood shed.jpg
    wood shed.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,310
ilikewood said:
I would have surely thought that there would be a pic of Ricks shed in here by now :)
Or, should I say "wood housing quarters"......just kidding Rick, only cause I am jealous of your woodhome

Seems like I've prob'ly posted pics of it here enough times already...but OK, here it is. The way I really wanted it to be, and then after my wife told me I actually had to fill it up with wood. Rick

Attachments

• cave.jpg
    cave.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,313
  • tarp.jpg
    tarp.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,299
  • niteshed.jpg
    niteshed.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,294
Backwoods Savage said:

Wood-2009c-1.gif

I am very jealous of these wood piles.

fossil said:
ilikewood said:

Seems like I've prob'ly posted pics of it here enough times already...but OK, here it is. The way I really wanted it to be, and then after my wife told me I actually had to fill it up with wood. Rick

I never tire of seeing that shed, sir.

I have an addition off the back of my house which serves as an entryway/mudroom with a separate room off of that as a furnace room. My wood shed is a leanto off of the furnace room. Behind the stacked wood is a window where the wood is brought/thrown through as needed.I season the wood in a heap for 2-3 years and then stack shed full in March when the ground is still froze so as not to tear up the back yard.
Also have a sweet ,cheap, hillbilly rain water collection system goin' on at left of pic.

Attachments

• woodshed.JPG
    woodshed.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 1,166
HalfwittingLEE said:
Also have a sweet ,cheap, hillbilly rain water collection system goin' on at left of pic.
Is that horseshoe on the right to protect you from chimney fires cuz the rain water would be froze come Winter?

LLigetfa said:
HalfwittingLEE said:
Is that horseshoe on the right to protect you from chimney fires cuz the rain water would be froze come Winter?

Ja, I'll take all the luck I can get.
Actually found that in the yard this last spring when I was transplanting a tree. This place was an old abandoned farm when I bought it 20 years ago. You woodn't believe all the junk I cleaned up.

Status
Not open for further replies.