takes a long time to move a 16 ton heap with a 2 ton tractor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I spent 2 hours making room for the 2012 split today. It was a lot easier when I was burning punky light stuff. Before and after pics. Taking a break until the splitter is in the shade of the fir trees, a bit warm today to be splitting in the sun.

Attachments

• 081810 heap.jpg
    081810 heap.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 381
  • ready for the 2012 split.jpg
    ready for the 2012 split.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 375
Yes and it takes a lot longer doing it all by hand!

I agree it is too hot to be splitting wood in the sun now. But that sun feels really good when I do the splitting in late March or early April. It is a real joy to sit there and split on a sunny day then.

Wise words Dennis, I banged a couple cord out before I decided that it was ridiculous. At least now I will have enough room for my next scrounge.

Attachments

• 082910 heap.jpg
    082910 heap.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 307
SolarAndWood said:
I spent 2 hours making room for the 2012 split today. It was a lot easier when I was burning punky light stuff. Before and after pics. Taking a break until the splitter is in the shade of the fir trees, a bit warm today to be splitting in the sun.

It's HUGE! I had it easy today Solar, all shade in the area I was loading in. Thats some big pile of wood you have.

zap

Don't think there was anything easy today Zap even in the shade.

Ratman said:
went to Syracuse NY twice and both times the snow bankings were HUGE!

We get our share Ratman, that's why my season's burn is under a roof before the snow flies.

Status
Not open for further replies.