Taking advantage of the mild winter weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Heading up on the mountain here in a bit to gather up some hearth stones. A friend of mine has a nice chunk of land on the western slope of the mountain and there are some nice stone slides up there, going for some good 4-6" thick sandstone for my hearth. I was going to put it off until spring but might as well take advantage of this ridiculous winter weather and get them now, may even get to finish the install before March!! Anyone else using the goofy weather to their advantage?

Catching crappie on the lake and splittin wood. Lots of oak and vary few fish but fun.

You all can thank me for this mild weather.....after the October snowstorm we had here, I bought a big azz snowblower.....been great weather ever since >:-(

Beer Belly said:
You all can thank me for this mild weather.....after the October snowstorm we had here, I bought a big azz snowblower.....been great weather ever since >:-(
I know what you mean Beer Belly......but I may have just cursed us all. I just turned down a heck of a deal on a nice SkiDoo 800 triple snowmobile......because of the lack of winter. I can guarantee you since i did that, we will be getting a slammer snowstorm here in the near future....lol....

realstihl said:
Catching crappie on the lake and splittin wood. Lots of oak and vary few fish but fun.
a good friend has been out hitting the mountain trout streams here in central PA all weekend, and he's catchin a pile of native brookies......if this keeps up I may have to join him!

We can all thank my cousin for this weather. He has a brand new Yamaha snow machine in his shed and it is yet to touch some real accumulation of snow. His luck as it would turn out is worse than mine!

I'll be out in the garage putting my exhaust back together on my Yamaha Apex today.

KodiakII said:
We can all thank my cousin for this weather. He has a brand new Yamaha snow machine in his shed and it is yet to touch some real accumulation of snow. His luck as it would turn out is worse than mine!
lol...and that's coming from Ontario.....it's a sad year for us winter-lovers.....I make maple syrup in the spring and it isn't looking too good for that this year. I'm sure we will get some sap, but if the mild weather doesn't soon let up, the buds will crack early on those maple trees and it will be a short lived sugaring season to say the least!

I'm wondering if the trees are going to bud early here. The sap suckers are already making the sugar maples bleed.
The daffodils are already sprouting up 6-8inches in my yard.
Had one cold snap earlier this week dropped to 18 with a high of 35, expecting another later this week.
Got out and cleaned up a couplebeetle kill pine blow overs the past couple days, its been mid 60s, feels like spring.

Beer Belly said:

I thought it was my fault for buying a plow blade for the tractor. I feel better now.

Hell yes there's alot of coyotes being caught in this mild weather,snow makes em harder to catch.

Beer Belly said:

Don't worry, you will get plenty of chance to use it!

Whatdja' git?

After the 09 ice storm in Mass I got a Ariens 924 after I broke my little toy one with sticks hidden in the follow-on snow storms.. (good excuse).. I love that baby!

Oh, yeah.. to stay on topic, I'm still cuttin' gatherin' and stackin'! So I can burn.. burn... burn....

Oldhippie said:
Beer Belly said:

I just bought one for my tractor to AND got my walk behind fixed and ready to rip, so I figured it was my fault. I'm not complaining though - I HATE snow!

Scotty Overkill said:
KodiakII said:
lol...and that's coming from Ontario.....it's a sad year for us winter-lovers.....I make maple syrup in the spring and it isn't looking too good for that this year. I'm sure we will get some sap, but if the mild weather doesn't soon let up, the buds will crack early on those maple trees and it will be a short lived sugaring season to say the least!

Sap or syrup season here is at best (excuse the pun) a catch as catch can proposition. Sometimes it'll run for a couple of weeks, some years a couple of days at best. If I can get it on my days off I'm good...at least we can get a little for our own use.

Best of both worlds up here. Between just enough natural snowfall, and great work by the snowmakers at Whiteface, skiing has been decent. Down at my house and in the valley, little or no snow cover, so easy to get in to the woods and cut and haul. Also still able to get to my buddy's huge woodpile for cutting and hauling.

Over 50f again today so I took advantage of the mild weather and put new shocks on the truck. Boy howdy what a nice difference!

bluedogz said:
Beer Belly said:

I thought it was my fault for buying a plow blade for the tractor. I feel better now.
bought a snowblower in october as well. we must have all jinxed ourselves. I really enjoy winter and summer is approaching way to fast. hopefully we get something. maybe will have a cold summer, i can only hope.

KodiakII said:
Sap or syrup season here is at best (excuse the pun) a catch as catch can proposition. Sometimes it'll run for a couple of weeks, some years a couple of days at best. If I can get it on my days off I'm good...at least we can get a little for our own use.
Kodiak I put around 125a taps out last year and planned to double that this year but unless we get snowthe that probablytramp wont happen.....we useget the snowmoboile to haulthe it oitto of the woods....not to mention if we aren't going to get at least four weeks of good sugaring weather I hate to drill all those trees for less.....we'll have to wait and see what happens.....the kids are looking forward to it as am I, but it all hinges on the weather...

KodiakII said:

And here I was blaming my buddy Blaine who bought a snowmobile this year . . . he'll be happy to know it was your cousin and not him that's too blame. ;)

The one good thing with this weather is I've been working on my firewood . . . usually by now I'm sledding and not doing any work on the firewood.

I cleaned my chimney on Sunday-it was downright balmy! First time since I started burning in October-I was pretty impressed. Drying the wood IN the shed is making a huge difference for me.

Got enough good stones for the surface of the hearth yesterday on the mountain......glad that's done before the snow flies! !

Attachments

• Stoneslide-1.jpg
    Stoneslide-1.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 259
  • Stoned-1.jpg
    Stoned-1.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 276
Well, we pruned up a tree that was partly blocking our lake view from inside...put up a bird feeder that they really don't need because of the weather...bought and plumbed a 100 gallon propane tank for our supplimental VF fireplace...split some pine into kindling since we need it due to not running 24/7...picked up some free wood and dumped it next to the wood pile...walked on the beach a few times...had some bonfires by the lake....and best of all, we're not running 24/7 in the stove so our little stash of wood for this season isn't disappearing as quick as I thought it might!

bluedogz said:
Beer Belly said:

My first year with my first snowblower was right after the worst year we'd had in 80 years. Sure enough, no snow. By Feb I'd really got the itch to try it so I scraped about 1/2" of slush into a straight line and ran straight for it. I wish every Winter I was that bored. Lord knows I'd buy a new snowblower every year i someone could promise me no snow!

Scotty Overkill said:
Heading up on the mountain here in a bit to gather up some hearth stones. A friend of mine has a nice chunk of land on the western slope of the mountain and there are some nice stone slides up there, going for some good 4-6" thick sandstone for my hearth. I was going to put it off until spring but might as well take advantage of this ridiculous winter weather and get them now, may even get to finish the install before March!! Anyone else using the goofy weather to their advantage?

Yes, we are taking advantage of this weather by cutting more wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.