Taking care of Big Wood from the last Scrounge...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
Well, finely got around to taking care of the big Oak that I got about a month ago. Most of it will go to my elderly neighbor that I help gather wood for (he's got the cool tools...;)).

Well here Hydraulics are definetly a back saver, dont know how I would have done it other wise....

Well these are the unload of the trailer. Having a Helper is always nice, especially since he can finally reach the pedals.
A7E109F9-7BAE-4073-B47E-BF2131C7C98F-20272-000010FB173B7BCC.jpg

E3719F6A-E82A-4BD8-88C3-6E03D29DA3AE-20272-000010FB10BE1B12.jpg

6F6F38A5-C3CE-4744-864E-0FF66A92C1AB-20272-000010FB04347A51.jpg

6C7504ED-4C6C-4ABA-A056-ACAF2F6C2163-20272-000010FAF8BADC54.jpg

Here is how those big chunks got to managable handling size's. He built this splitter for this specific reason. Plus its always fun using the Bobcat.

i'll be dipped. cool upside down log splitter!

great gear and looks like some capable help there. he looks like he's got it all under control.

Reactions: chvymn99
The right tools make the difference good job. Looks like a future wood burner in the making,,,, I rememeber being his age and hating stacking wood splitting wood but when I started doing it for myself it became an addiction and a way to have toys and get some exercise.

Thats a cool splitter, you use that to get the huge rounds smaller and then use another splitter for final splitting?

Lots of noodling in those big rounds.
I see you have a trailer full.
Great pictures.

Necessity is the mother of invention ;)
Cool splitter.

I like the tractor and the splitter! I have been saying for 4 years that I want to make a set of forks for my kubota. Man those forks come in handy!

If I ever came across anything that big at a scrounge I would have to just laugh and walk away.

Yea, know that same thought, I've said the same thing. But with the help of 4 to 5 guys it was workable getting them loaded. Once I got them on the trailer that were the tough job ended. Hydraulics would take care of most of the rest.

Thats a cool splitter, you use that to get the huge rounds smaller and then use another splitter for final splitting?

Yes, exactly. Let the Bobcat flip them, stand them up, and split them into manageable pieces for the Swisher Splitter.

I like the tractor and the splitter! I have been saying for 4 years that I want to make a set of forks for my kubota. Man those forks come in handy!

They opened up a whole new window of opportunity on what I could do with the JD. The worst part is the switch of the bucket to the forks, its just four pins. So not really that bad. If you do it, you'll never know how you got away without them.

love that splitter! You put some windows, an air conditioner and a beerholder in that bobcat and that would be just like HEAVEN!!

Well, two out of three are there already. But I dont thing the old man would go for the Beerholder. LOL. I'm just learning on how to operate it, drove it three times so far. Yes, that AC makes working on a warm summer day a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.