Taking Stihl 025 to the mountains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
I need to take a chainsaw to our place in the Rockies. Fortunately, I have a spare Stihl 025 which has served faithfully for many, many years here in the Ozarks. I do not know its age, but it must be about 25 years old.

I anticipate it will be necessary to have the carburetor adjusted for the hight altitude; am I correct? I will be at 8600 ft.

Higher altitude means less O2 and less fuel burns - therefore they tend to rich from lower altitude setting. I've read a general rule that both H and L screws go in - CW (makes leaner) an 1/8 -1/4 turn when you go up in mountains. Be careful and don't lean it out too much - better to be a little rich than a little lean.

You will also have to raise the idle screw to keep it running at idle.

Good advice above. Might not be a big adjustment needed, but to be optimal, tune when you get there. Also, I know this is weird, but I tune my saws in the fall because the temps are milder, that way they will work in either hot or cold. If you were a complete nutjob you could tune for the temp you'll be using it at, but I'd venture to guess that most people (myself included) wouldn't notice the difference. I just do it in the fall because it sounds like a good idea.

Yep. I do it all the time. I go from about 5400 here in town to about 9800-ish up where the cabin is. 4 different seasons, different temps, different humidity, different density -- never the same. Dougand3 is right on. It's usually never more than a quarter turn and don't over-lean.

Yep. I do it all the time. I go from about 5400 here in town to about 9800-ish up where the cabin is.

I do fine at our 8600 ft., but I doubt I could pull the starter rope at your altitude.

Yeah, I often wish I had a mixture screw or two on me that I could adjust while up there. ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.