1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

taking the cost out of blockoff plates

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ckarotka, Aug 30, 2010.

1. ckarotka

ckarotka Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwest PA on the lake
    I recently have read a few posts about blockoff plates and potential cost vs. performance. I am reinstalling a free standing cast stove into a fireplace heart. The plate is a no-brainer for me and will be installed. Not being a metal guy (more woodworker) and not having metal fab tools I called a local steel shop.

The plate I need is 12"x31 1/4" and I wanted a 6 1/4" hole punched in the middle to accept the liner. Since I didn't need any bending (but I'm guessing the cost would not have been much more with bends) the steel shop will size a piece of 1/16" plate steel and punch the hole in it for $30. I thought that was very fair since Lowes wanted $60 for enough steel and I would have to fab it.

The next problem was kaowool. I know I wanted it but didn't need to order a 25' roll. I called a local industrial insulation place and they will sell me the exact amount for $10 cash out of the office.

I doubt anyone would not install a plate for $40. Granted my install is relatively easy. Even if it was hard it is going in.

I just thought maybe somebody could use this info to find the materials they need a little cheaper.

Charlie

Helpful Sponsor Ads!