Talk me into or out of a pellet stove to supplement NG forced air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had NG for nearly 30 years and a pellet stove for 18 years. Back in the day, NG wasn't as cheap as it is today. I pay about $1.30/therm for NG. When using the fuel comparison calculator on the pelletheat.org website, I'm at roughly $14/million btus with pellets vs $16/million btus with NG. So not much difference, but I burn pellets anyway because I would never heat my house as warm with the NG as I do with pellets.

I would say it depends a lot on where you live. I have to live in Western NY, so everything is a complete scam. The Niagara Falls generating butt loads of power; Giant windmills popping up all around. Yet I pay more fore electric than someone who lives 100 miles south in PA. I would agree that NG is cheaper except for the fact where I live all the gas companies add an extra hundred dollars a month in usage fees and taxes and what not even if you don't use any NG.

I like the fact I can raise the heat in the living room vs the whole house. Heat where you are.

I have had NG for nearly 30 years and a pellet stove for 18 years. Back in the day, NG wasn't as cheap as it is today. I pay about $1.30/therm for NG. When using the fuel comparison calculator on the pelletheat.org website, I'm at roughly $14/million btus with pellets vs $16/million btus with NG. So not much difference, but I burn pellets anyway because I would never heat my house as warm with the NG as I do with pellets.

As the cost of electricity 'necessarily skyrockets' as we shut down 50% of our generating capacity, I can see the cost of pellets, an electrically intensive manufacturing operation, 'necessarily skyrocketing' as well. For now, NG will still be the best bet IF you can get it and BEFORE they complete their plans to convert it to compressed natural gas (CNG) for shipment to Europe and elsewhere in huge amounts.

Well that's a pretty unanimous decision there. I'm going to attempt to return it tonight. Hopefully they don't give me any grief since it was a floor model.

alternativeheat, That too. After looking this unit over real good at home, I'm seeing some poor workmanship. Bad welds, welding wire hanging from a couple beads, sloppy wiring in the back, etc.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Don't let any "grass grow under your feet" Give them a chance to sell it to someone else (still stove season)

Status
Not open for further replies.