Talkin' Tractors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
benjamin said:
I use an Allis B with a 59" woods to mow about an acre only as often as I have to, and it works alright.

Is that a Woods belly mower?

If the lawn is sandy loamy soil then ag tires probably won't work. I have heavy clay and I only mow when it's dry enough, so the ag tires never leave a mark, not that it would matter to me. .

That's another pretty generalized statement. Ag tires work just fine on sandy soil. We live on a sand hill. The nearest clay is about three miles in any direction or about 80 feet straight down. I have three rib ag tires on the front and big ag tires on the rear of my 8N. I just need to take it easy on the turns and there is little, if any, evidence of tire marks. Those front tires can sure do a number on the turf if you do a sharp turn, though. I may put auto tires on the front. Can't really afford to go with turf tires all around.

http://burlington.craigslist.org/grd/2742222285.html
Kubota B1750 4x4 Tractor W/Front Snow Blower, Mid Mower,Cab - $3400 (Derby)

Live PTO isn't a big deal with a brush hog. But try and run a haybine or a baler without it. I know its not an issue here. Those old guys could slip those tractors in and out of neutral pretty slick.

lukem said:
Danno77 said:
firefighterjake said:
I've been thinking . . . there is another option here possibly . . . let part of the lawn go natural, plant some trees and wait . . . ;) :)

The lot two houses up has some sort of unintentional prairie restoration thing going. it looks just like the intentional one at the local university. Just sayin....

You could probably get a grant to not mow your yard....just call it a protected area.

It would be re-establishing a natural habitat. Go for the Fed money. :coolsmile:

Dill said:

Live PTO isn't a big deal with a brush hog. But try and run a haybine or a baler without it. I know its not an issue here. Those old guys could slip those tractors in and out of neutral pretty slick.
Looks like a good price, but also looks driven hard and put a way wet!

Kenster said:
benjamin said:
I use an Allis B with a 59" woods to mow about an acre only as often as I have to, and it works alright.

Is that a Woods belly mower?

If the lawn is sandy loamy soil then ag tires probably won't work. I have heavy clay and I only mow when it's dry enough, so the ag tires never leave a mark, not that it would matter to me. .

That's another pretty generalized statement. Ag tires work just fine on sandy soil. We live on a sand hill. The nearest clay is about three miles in any direction or about 80 feet straight down. I have three rib ag tires on the front and big ag tires on the rear of my 8N. I just need to take it easy on the turns and there is little, if any, evidence of tire marks. Those front tires can sure do a number on the turf if you do a sharp turn, though. I may put auto tires on the front. Can't really afford to go with turf tires all around.

Yes that's a Woods belly mower, the B has plenty of power as long as the grass is cut to lawn length, but it is usually much longer and thicker so more power and/or live pto would really help. Or a different tractor and a bush hog would be more appropriate sometimes.

I should have said that ag tires won't leave tracks unless the ground is soft.

gzecc said:
Dill said:

May be rough, but that is a whole lot of mowin, blowin and towin for $3400 with a cab on top of it. If that thing was clean, he would easily get twice that around here for it.

Here is your 445 5' mower, blower, 3pt and cab for $4500. http://syracuse.craigslist.org/grd/2742571597.html

Man, that 2N is super nice. I'm a JD fanboy, though, so that cabbed 445 is just about the coolest option I've seen posted here!

I had a 2N. And at the same time I've had a Farmall H and an Allis Chalmers CA. I got rid of that 2N. It was about the most worthless antique I ever owned. Bout the only thing they are good for is pulling a rear mount mower and they aren't all that great at that. The Farmall H was at least twice the tractor and the Allis CA is about 1/1/2 times.

SolarAndWood said:
gzecc said:
Dill said:

May be rough, but that is a whole lot of mowin, blowin and towin for $3400 with a cab on top of it. If that thing was clean, he would easily get twice that around here for it.

Here is your 445 5' mower, blower, 3pt and cab for $4500. http://syracuse.craigslist.org/grd/2742571597.html

Now that's a sweet machine! Pretty far away but I might call on that one. Is that a good deal? I have no idea what it would cost new.

Battenkiller said:
Now that's a sweet machine! Pretty far away but I might call on that one. Is that a good deal? I have no idea what it would cost new.

Worth the drive and def. worth the $$. 3 pt is a sweet option on that.

To buy that new in an x700 series, thats about a $15K+ setup.

Tractor is $10K, Cab is $2K+ (at least, heat, wipers, etc are more), Blower is $3k+

That doesn't include the 3pt or all the weights on there for ballast. I see the cab is heated and has lights and wipers. Sweet!

In your situation Batten, I'd be all over that thing. 60" Mower will chew up that acreage nicely too!

Battenkiller said:

Guys usually want $7-10K for a setup like that. That is the bad a$$ blower. However, my guess is he got something bigger as he is right in the middle of the Tug snow bands off Lake Ontario.

If that is what you want and you want something in that condition, I would jump on it. That setup fits easily in a Uhaul 6x12 open trailer.

Definately worth the money
with a little tlc it will run forever
don't wait to long
around here it would be gone already

I have a friend who buys and sells used tractors. He buys used tractors at auctions and fixes them up for resale. He claims that when the small compact and subcompact tractors get around 2000 hours that for the most part they worn out. I think he said that you really can't rebuild those engines, you have to replace the block. Does this sound correct? IF you maintain the engine good will it last longer?

That 2N is way over priced. Even with the shiny new paint. It doesn't even have hydraulic remotes, so you won't be able to run a splitter or a loader without adding a pto or front mounted pump. That tractor would bring maybe 1500 at auction. I go to a lot of ag auctions and the compacts don't bring as much at a real ag sale. Deals can be had if you know what your looking for.

Jack Straw said:
I have a friend who buys and sells used tractors. He buys used tractors at auctions and fixes them up for resale. He claims that when the small compact and subcompact tractors get around 2000 hours that for the most part they worn out. I think he said that you really can't rebuild those engines, you have to replace the block. Does this sound correct? IF you maintain the engine good will it last longer?

I personally have seen many examples of the Deere 400 series machines go 5000+ hours. Some of them weren't pretty but they all were strong runners. I've seen them trashed after 8-900 hours too due to neglect. The 445 in the pictures looks to be very well kept indeed.

Some of the small diesel engines are indeed "sleeve-in-block" designs but that doesn't mean it can't be rebuilt. So long as oversize pistons are available you could have the engine re-bored. However it is often more economical to "short-block" (replace block, crank, rods, pistons) a worn engine than to re-machine the old one. This is almost always the case with the gas engines like the ones used in 400 series machines.

Anything you give proper maintenance will last a lot longer than something neglected.

+1 on the 47 Snowblower being "bad ass"! We used to use 'em to clean up the parking lot corners and reclaim parking spots after the plows got done piling the snow. Would chew right thru 4-5' of plow-packed snow. Only thing better was the 59" big-brother on a mid-frame compact. Hell yea!

Here's hoping the silence means that Batten is strapping that machine to a trailer right now.....

Jack Straw said:
Dont think that is true at all, not sure what his experiences have been for the most part those tractors will run way longer than that with the right care.

I mow 4 acres of yard and another 4.5 acres of wooded horse lot with a JD 855 and a belly mount 6 foot deck. Also have a 5 foot JD bush hog for mowing in the woods and the 59 inch snow blower. I put about 300 hours a year on the 855 and it has never needed anything other than filters, oil changes and a battery. Tough to beat a JD for endurance and reliability. I do have turf tires and wheel weights and have had no traction problems. Quite a few around here have various flavors of Cubs that they swear by for mowing and utility. My 2 cents.

After the experience I had with the 3 cyl 27hp Yanmar in my sailboat, I would not hesitate to rely on one. My next tractor will be green and Yanmar powered.

SolarAndWood said:
After the experience I had with the 3 cyl 27hp Yanmar in my sailboat, I would not hesitate to rely on one. My next tractor will be green and Yanmar powered.
That was my point, he thinks his JD is bullet proof but is a Yanmar, very tough and relible tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.