Tall chimney and ZC fireplace - cleanout solutions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beekeeper

Apr 2, 2008
Virginia
Just finished running my second flue yesterday - this one is Class A running from a new ZC fireplace in my basement up through a single story of living area and then on up through an attic and out the roof. New construction, 10/12 pitch on the roof. I suspected I was going to have this problem, and now I do: there's about 6 feet of pipe above the shingles and the roof is too steep to stand on. Only reason I could get up there yesterday is because I had the roofers leave their toe-boards on the roof temporarily.

While I clung to the roof yesterday I decided that I was going to order some sort of cleanout tee that would let me clean the chimney from below - but now when I look for a Simpson dura-tech 6"cleanout T they are all designed for a cleanout from the bottom. I was hoping to find something that I could just insert in the chimney system that would let me take a peek once in a while without scrambling up onto the roof.

Or is there some way to run the brush right up through the fireplace itself?

Is it a straight shot from the stove?
If so, why not use some flexible rods.
That's what I do through my insert.

Yep, it's a straight shot. Dumb of me - but I hadn't realized I can apparently remove some stuff and go up through the fireplace. I have a KozyHeat - in your Quad do you have to remove much of anything to check the chimney?

Thanks.

I have a kozy heat also. I would like to clean it from the bottom up. Is it hard to remove the pipes and bricks? I also don't want to be on a steep roof 25 feet off the ground ! I have the z42. Even the manual doesn't describe how to remove this. Thanks !

I have 28 feet of chimney on top of my ZC fireplace.- isn't straight shot either- it has a slight offset-- my roof is 12/12 and there is no way I am able to clean it from on top..
I clean mine up form the bottom... it is a little work- but it is do-able

Status
Not open for further replies.