Tall Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blbake1

Dec 6, 2010
Kentucky
I am building a house and have a 2 questions for anyone willing to answer.

1. For the basement wood burning fireplace insert, the flue will be around 40-45 feet tall. Is this too tall? I see that Harman (300i) specifies that flue must be no taller than 33 feet. I don't see that in other manuals. 6 inches seems standard, but could it be 5 inches? I have seen a damper suggested on this board, but how do you use a damper with an insert?

2. Is there any issue with 1 masonry chimney sharing 2 flues, for the basement and main level? I may not actually install an insert on the main level, but I would like to have the option in the future. I thought I might use ventless gas logs there initially, since I already have a set that has never been used.

I am looking at the PE Alderlea T5, Kuma Ashwood, and Hearthstone Clydesdale.

Thanks for your help.

That is going to be a long run for sure. Downsizing to 5" liner will help, but the flue gases are going to cool a lot by the time they make it to the top, especially if this is an exterior chimney.

If the masonry chimney has two independent flue in it, one for each floor, that's fine. If the basement and main level have a common flue, that's not ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.