"Tall" stove recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wilcobravo

Nov 1, 2018
Connecticut
Hi everyone - Newbie here. Bought a home a few years back and wanting to switch from pellet to wood stove. I want a modern (efficient) stove that sits in my tall Rumford-like fireplace, which has an opening about 50" tall by 40" wide. It is a sort of "centerpiece" location in the sitting room, and it would look best if there isn't a big gap above the top of the stove. So I'm looking for options that have more of a tall form-factor, and ideally are nice to look at. Most possible options I've seen are pedestal w/storage stoves, but most are small (except for the Quadrafire Discovery III, which is one of my top options currently).

A related question/option: does anyone produce a third-party storage stand/pedestal that you can put any stove on?

The house is a big modern colonial (built in the 1990s), two floors (about 2800 sq. ft.), and I am mostly planning on using the stove for supplemental heat and backup for power outages. So I'll probably often run it on low/medium. Have a big wooded property with lots of extra wood to use, which is another motivation to switch to wood.

Pic attached shows the existing Cumberland multi-fuel stove, which is really perfect for the location (tall and handsome).

00n0n_9Zow38qyQkn_1200x900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the desire for a classic looking cast iron stove? If so, I wouldn't focus on just tall stoves. It looks like there is plenty of room for a classic cast iron or cast iron clad stove to fit there. Note that the current stove's hearth protection is inadequate and most likely will be for a new stove too. At least 16" of hearth in front of the glass is required.

Reactions: moresnow
Is the desire for a classic looking cast iron stove? If so, I wouldn't focus on just tall stoves. It looks like there is plenty of room for a classic cast iron or cast iron clad stove to fit there. Note that the current stove's hearth protection is inadequate and most likely will be for a new stove too. At least 16" of hearth in front of the glass is required.

I think a hearth rug is sufficient, though, right? If the whole pad it is on is non-combustible, the additional front distance I thought is just for sparks.

I think a hearth rug is sufficient, though, right? If the whole pad it is on is non-combustible, the additional front distance I thought is just for sparks.
No a hearth rug is not sufficient at all. They do not even qualify as ember protection

It will need something better than that. If ember protection only is all that is needed there are inexpensive hearth extension boards available. Even a sheet of metal will suffice, but it should be anchored in place.