Taming down a Quadra-Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbursan

Jan 29, 2014
Upper Alabama
I think I've found the source of my Millennium running hot. The manual says it should have a 14'-16' draft, measured from the base of the stove. I've got at least 25'. I've followed another thread on here about a different Quad with a similar setup that is also running hot. Mine's not that hot, but it's not as cold here in Upper Alabama as most of you are (not usually - single digits tonight). I've shut it down around 350-400 and watched it climb to 600. I'm not running it tonight because I'm worried about how high it will go with this really cold weather (wood is not my primary heat - it's for fun and backup). There's really nothing I can do about my chimney. I've got 9' ceilings and a high pitched roof. I'm as close to the outside wall as I can get in that room already.

There's not much I can do about my wood this year either. It's too small, I don't have any really large pieces to burn (left over from a small fireplace last year). So I'm stuck with making (non-permanent) modifications to the stove. I like the idea I've read here of using aluminium foil and magnets to block off some of the air coming into the primary. This seems to be where it is needed - even shut down all the way you can see flames being blown around up front. But I can't see where this is done. The side plates look welded on and there is nothing to see from the inside, or I don't know where to look. There is a big hole in the back for the outside air kit but I don't think I want to do that (that would effect the air tubes, correct?). Has anyone done this with a Quadra-Fire Millennium?

Howdy!

First of all, a 600 temp is nothing to worry about with your stove. 800 should also be tolerated.

You certainly have more stack than required. If I was in your shoes, I'd get a key damper for my stove pipe before I tried modifying the stove's air intakes. But that's just me. Food for thought.

Andrew

I placed a magnet on my primary so when I close it all the way down it actually shuts but just a sliver of air coming in. I did this on mine for peace of mind incase I get into a run-away situation, which I've been close. If you take the side shield off you will see the lever stops on a screw, I placed the magnet on the other side of the screw so it closes off what the lever can't get to. Just remember you will have to make a mental note to not shut it down all the way. I determined half open with the magnet in place is equal to fully closed to the stop screw w/out the magnet. If that makes any sense.

Swedishchef, I thought I had read elsewhere here that 650 was considered the "high end" for Quads. It's not mentioned in the manual anywhere. However, I'm not really concerned about the 600 degree temps. I'm much more concerned that it just went there without my permission. I will consider a damper.

Sconnie, I thought that side shield was welded. I'll have to get my glasses and a flashlight out and take a better look. That sounds like what I want to do. I'm really more concerned about peace of mind than anything else. It hasn't run much over 600 yet and I suspect it won't as long as everything works correctly, but I prefer more control.

It should come off. It is the access to the tubes and what not when they may need service. Also check out the little discs on the ends of the start up air and rear air controls. Make sure they are not deteriorated and making a good seal. I had to replace mine this fall.

I believe any steel stove should be able to handle 650 with no problem. Mine sometimes hits 775 or 800 for a small amount of time but cruising is normally 750.

Your stack is big, I think you have a really good draft.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.