Tanaka ECV-5601

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, seller stopped responding. One more email in to him with a fairly low offer.

But, I found a MS290, listed for $175, haven't yet tried to talk him down. I'd rather get the 359 but considering the 290 as a backup plan.

FWIW, I don't often have much luck talking sellers down on their asking prices unless my inspection turns up problems they didn't mention in their ads. $175 for an MS290 in good shape is already a deal. Unless you are enjoying the shopping process and want it to continue, I wouldn't insist on a further discount on that one.

Thanks for the tip. I'd be willing to pay $175 if it all checks out. The CL post was weird. Seller spelled Stihl as "Skihl", and didn't list the model in the ad. When I first contacted him and asked what model, he said "I think it's a 43cc saw". I didn't respond and he wrote back a couple days later that it's an MS290; so maybe he doesn't know much about them and what they're worth (best case scenario). He sent pics and it looks good. Says he's had it around a year. I'm a little wary; I'm hoping it isn't stolen. Hoping it was given to him and he doesn't need it anymore or something like that.

I just posted my opinion and a review on the Tanaka Top Handle Arborists Saw. I give it an A+. Can't beat the warranty, 7 years against everything.

Thanks for the heads up, SidecarFlip. I'm holding off a little while. I'm going to sharpen and retune my little Craftsman and make do this winter (hope I get a good raise in the new year). I have a couple upcoming scores it should work fine for. If the Tanaka comes up again I'll give it a look, but Jon1270 has me wanting a 359 now; and I could have gotten one for $250! Though it was a good deal I can't pull the trigger at the moment, unfortunately.

No problem. From my perspective they are good saws for excellent prices. They are made under license by Hitachi in China which, had me doubtful about the quality but my fears were ungrounded. Great saws. Very well assembled, everything fits right and they run well.

I keep changing my strategy. I'm thinking about getting a well-running old Homelite XL-12 for $60. I think I'd put an 18" bar on it and just use it (need to find out if I can get bars and where). I figure for $60, if I can go a bit without replacing anything I'm already ahead, and it should be an upgrade over my lil' Craftsman and its 36CC's. I wish I could get the guy lower than $60, but it seems he's not budging; he listed it at $75. I'd rather have the Super XL if I'm going tog get a vintage Homelite, but the XL-12 seems to have a following, too. Been reading some of the threads over at arboristsite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.