Tandem Utility Trailer for $2,058 - Brand New

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wldm09

Mar 16, 2009
Northwoods, WI
http://www.johnsontrailerco.com/tandem_utility.php

I want the 83" x 16' x 7,000 GVWR for $2058. I'd have to add the fenders for $200 and maybe a ramp so figure $2,500.

I figure I could load ATV, splitter, and a whole cord of wood on that puppy.

What do you think?

It depends on the wood you have access to and how you prefer to process it. I almost always can get my dump trailer to where I am blocking and never split onsite largely because of time constraints. So, for me a trailer that I can throw a cord plus of blocks in and be able to dump when I get home works great. However, if I needed to take an ATV, it would largely fill the trailer. Either way, 2 grand for a tool that saves the abuse on the truck is a no-brainer. Be sure to install the brake controller as you will put a lot more weight on the trailer than you ever did in the truck.

Thanks Solar. I will be towing this with a 2001 Chevy Tahoe. I think a weight distribution hitch would also be part of the kit.

Looks nice. Spring for the second axle brake though. $125 is short money to keep the thing from pushing you through a stop sign.

Whats the tow rating on your 'Ho? Must be fairly close to the 7k.

Looks like a decent price for that size trailer...jsut make darn sure you know whats actually included for hte price you pay. Hate to find out the hard way that you got a smoking deal on a nice shiny new trailer only to find out that you didn't buy the $1700 trailer hitch option.

If that's a complete price for this trailer that's a darn good deal. Wish this guy was closer to Michigan! I'm in the market myself and can't find anything within $800 of that price....even used units are pushing $2k around here. Such luck.

Be sure to check over the welding in the trailer! We have a company here that imports trailers built in Mexico (I think) and the welding is terrible! Look nice sitting on the lot, but haul them around for a week or two and things start to show. Not to say that Mexicans can't weld (I am sure they can) just who ever is building these trailers is missing the QC step.

Buyer be ware! If it's too good to be true...

Woodsman_WI said:
Thanks Solar. I will be towing this with a 2001 Chevy Tahoe. I think a weight distribution hitch would also be part of the kit.

Probably not a bad idea. The stock receiver that came with my 3/4 ton 01 burb with trailering package hasn't been level for a long time. It probably had something to do with the 7 yards of topsoil I put in my tandem dump to plant some trees a couple years ago.

I see the trailers are made in WI. Check NY law about brakes. In PA if brakes are required, all axles must have them. Others have been burnt here buying out of state trailers only to find out they can't be inspected because all axles do not have brakes.

Steve

Looks like a nice trailer.

Just a word of caution:

I have seen quite a few trailer claim that they are rated for X lbs. which is what the axle(s) are rated for. IE (2) 3.5k lbs equal 7k lbs. But the frame of the trailer can't support it. I have a single axle 3.5k lbs "landscape" or "utility" trailer . I put about a load in it that was about 2k lbs and the frame was flexing a bit. The springs and tires were fine. I don't usually need to put that kind of a load on it as I have a 14k lbs equipment trailer. So for pulling my Z-trak, spliter, 6 wheeler, etc. it works fine.

I'm not trying to knock the trailer your looking at. But be sure if you are going to use it to its max capacity that it can handle it on a regular basis.

Also don't forget to subtract the weight of the trailer from the GVWR of the trailer to get your "true" load carrying capacity.

Best of luck!

Yes, as stated above, it does look like a fine trailer and I'm in no way meaning it's not. I have a 7000 lb. landscape trailer. I learned it may be rated for the gross, but it's not a dump trailer. I think it's ment more that it can gross that, but evenly spread out. If I plop 5000 lb. of top soil in the center of the floor, it bows the angle iron going accross under the floor boards a visable amount.

Steve

YZF1R said:
Yes, as stated above, it does look like a fine trailer and I'm in no way meaning it's not. I have a 7000 lb. landscape trailer. I learned it may be rated for the gross, but it's not a dump trailer. I think it's ment more that it can gross that, but evenly spread out. If I plop 5000 lb. of top soil in the center of the floor, it bows the angle iron going accross under the floor boards a visable amount.

Steve

I have that issue even with the dump trailers. My little dump is factory made by one of the big companies and rated for 5K. However, my wife found a cold weld when dumping a load I lifted halfway and knew something was wrong. The look on her face was priceless. The trailer has a few twists in it from hauling and dumping highly organic material for the garden. The truth is usually in the weight of the trailer. My 5x8 5K dump weighs 1100 pounds and has twists in the frame from what I consider reasonable use. The 6x12 12K trailer weighs just under 3000 lbs and is perfectly true even after loading it to capacity with topsoil on many occasions. In that case it is the 3/4 ton truck that is the weak link resulting in a drooping receiver, suspension and brake work. The downside of the 3000 lb trailer is needing a full ton truck plus to really use it to its potential. I know a guy who uses a goose neck with a 3/4 ton truck and the difference is pretty amazing.

YZF1R said:
I see the trailers are made in WI. Check NY law about brakes. In PA if brakes are required, all axles must have them. Others have been burnt here buying out of state trailers only to find out they can't be inspected because all axles do not have brakes.

Steve

Since I live in WI about 100 miles from there, this won't be an issue. Not sure why I would check out NY laws about brakes...

You are correct. Sorry about that. When I replied, I must have scrolled up and back down without going all the way up. :eek:hh:

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.