tank insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henfruit

Minister of Fire
I just got my vigs 40 up and running.With 2 500 gallon tanks.Well i think it is time to insulate the tanks are up to 160 amd the garage is turning into a sauna. thought of spray foam? aslo if they were wrapped with fibergass 2 layers i think then use boat shrink wrap to cover them and make a nice clean sealed unit?

I built a wall around mine and am getting ready to blow cellulose around them in a little bit. they sure make some good radiators.

I boxed in with 6"+ of fiberglass, 2" of foam board. Your idea sounds good. I suggest aiming for R30-40 unless you want some heat loss into the storage tank space.

I foamed mine. Not the least expensive but it is like turning them in a thermos bottle. Mine are also in garage space. Nice during winter but does get hot in summer. This summer I'm planning to box mine in. It has been mentioned that foam can cause issues during a fire so good idea to box in anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.