Tank Thermometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodNotOil

Minister of Fire
I came across this site when I was looking for some thermometer that I could put in my tank that would actually come in contact with the water instead of a well.

http://www.stpats.com/testeq.htm

The Stainless Steel Bimetal Thermometers can be threaded into fittings on the tank. I am particularly interested in the one with the 48" stem that I could run to the bottom of my tank. I emailed them and they said that it only takes a reading from the bottom of the stem. I think this will give me a more accurate reading than my copper 1/2" well running to the bottom of the tank. I have noticed it is about 10* higher than actual temp. I will probably put a shorter one in at the top of the tank as well. That would free up my Alez digital one to monitor delta T on my flat plate.

EricV said:
I used these

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5XL18

going to add one to the Tarm itself so I can see the temp in F

Thanks for the suggestion. That is a well priced device. If I need more digital sensors, I will probably get one.

My issue for now was with getting a bottom reading from a pipe through the top of the tank. So far the 48" stem guage is the only option I have seen, other than trying to design a well that won't heat over it's length. My copper well is heating over the length and giving too high a reading.

Is your copper well dry from top to the bottom on the inside of the well? Or could you make one? You could then drop the Taylor probe to the bottom?

The well is dry and made of 1/2" copper with a cap on the bottom. I have an Alez digital thermometer with two probes. One of the probes is dropped down the well to the bottom. As I stated above, the reading is ending up higher than it actually is, which I am attributing to the full length of the well being heated. I think the long stem one will get a better reading, but we will see when I get around to ordering it.

Status
Not open for further replies.