Tapping Sound Noise Clip

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammypoodle

Jul 11, 2008
new hampshire
I was hoping to get some ideas on where this sound may be coming from. It is a “tapping” noise that seems to be coming from the inside of the firebox? It is very evident on low fan speed but is there on higher fan speeds. Almost like when different metals heat up they make noise but this is there at any temperature. It is intermittent and random in its tapping sounds. Air flow maybe? It is very annoying. Any ideas would greatly appreciated. Try this link for the sound clip (copy into your webrowser and it should open up in windows media player, I hope)…. http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/454647/HudsonRiver.wav Happy New Year.

I see what you mean about intermittent. Definitely does not sound like metal when the temperature changes. Does it only happen when the auger is feeding? Could there be ash build up or something tapping against a fan motor squirrel cage? Must be mechanical so check anything that moves. For example my stove has a chain drive on it that might be able to make a noise like that.

it is independant of the auger motor or any motor for that matter, it it there if the auger is feeding pellets or not feeding pellets. I looked and touched every piece and could not find anything. I do not think its electrical and is mechnical. But hard to locate....

I just had that EVP checked out...........You're stove is haunted...... :lol:

sounds like a damper tapping away...
Do you have a flap on your air intake?
or there is a plate inside the stove that is moving with the airflow through the stove.

sammypoodle said:
I was hoping to get some ideas on where this sound may be coming from. It is a “tapping” noise that seems to be coming from the inside of the firebox? It is very evident on low fan speed but is there on higher fan speeds. Almost like when different metals heat up they make noise but this is there at any temperature. It is intermittent and random in its tapping sounds. Air flow maybe? It is very annoying. Any ideas would greatly appreciated. Try this link for the sound clip (copy into your webrowser and it should open up in windows media player, I hope)…. http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/454647/HudsonRiver.wav Happy New Year.

HAs this always been like that? How old is the stove? I am thinking something is caught in the auger or a drive. Sounds like a ticking and not a griding.

A while back(a year or so) I got a bag of pellets that were unusually long. I noticed an intermittent clicking noise. When I investigated I found that the auger was trimming the pellets to size and the clicking was the cuts on the edge of the hopper. check to see if you have lots of long pellets as this may be your mystery spiritually inspired noise.

Great ideas. i am using LG pellets, they vary in size. I also had tried pennigton and blazier pellets with the same ticking results. The stove seems to "tick" wheather the auger is turning or not (idle). It has always done this. The stove is new so I thought it may just work itself out. I am also new to the pellet world this year, so the learning curve was my first priority. I am going to place a service call next week, but since technicians abilities vary a lot, I was hoping to have a possible idea solution, plus I like to tinker and learn the stove.

Ok, I finally think I fixed it. As you may recall I found a small hole on the right side of my firebox and put a screw in there to prevent a vacuum leak. Worked for a while and then it started making the ticking noise again. Looked again and I saw another screw hole on the left side with no screw in there. Now since the door mounts on that side it is covered up but still air was being sucked in. I plugged that hole up and no noise. It is harder to see that hole because the door plate is mounted to that side. Also another benefit I saw was that I could barely go 4 days before cleaning. My burn pot was usually clogged by then so it needed to be cleaned. I have gone 6 days and the ash is piled up really high. Cleaned it and the burn pot was totally clean. Nothing on the bottom whatsover. So the air flow must be better now and being forced up through the burn pot like it should. Another side note, before I plugged those holes up on the left and right side of my door glass I could see a small oval circle on the left and right side glass that was forming from the burning of the pellets. At first I thought it was the a defect in the glass. But the airflow through those tiny screw holes caused the forming of those bizarre circles. Aliens maybe....government consipracy maybe..... Plug those holes works great!

Sounds just like the pellets dropping into the burn pot. Perfectly normal. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.