Tar paper to cover piles?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris5150

Burning Hunk
Nov 21, 2012
East Central WI
Anyone ever used tar paper to cover your wood piles? I have a couple of rolls I could use for this.

Thanks in advance. Chris

mehhh......probably won't hold up well (too easy to tear) and would be tough to remove from the pile if it were covered in ice and snow. That being said it is better than nothing.

Reactions: Fred Wright
I agree with Lumberjack, too flimsey. Rolled roofing works great.

I too had a couple of rolls of this that I found in the barn and thought it would work great. Unfortunately, in sub-freezing temperatures, it is very brittle and rips pretty easily in the wind. I've since tossed it all out. I wouldn't bother with it.

Reactions: Fred Wright
I too had a couple of rolls of this that I found in the barn and thought it would work great. Unfortunately, in sub-freezing temperatures, it is very brittle and rips pretty easily in the wind. I've since tossed it all out. I wouldn't bother with it.

That's been my one and only experience with it as well.

If you have extra rolls it can work. I remember one time I picked up a couple rolls at an auction sale. Laid down some old lumber or plywood and then stapled the tar paper on. I'm thinking I may have used a double thickness but it has been too long ago and I don't remember now. It worked and for the price I got that stuff, we were out practically nothing.

Find yourself something more durable. You will end up with pcs of tar paper all over the place.

Yep even a little roof staple rips it. Too fragile. Try black or clear thick plastic in a pinch.

Keep your eyes out on Craigslist for rubber roofing scraps. They work great, and will last longer than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.