TAR

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like creostote buildup and the bad kind. How much wood has been burned since the flue was last cleaned? This is usually a sign of wet wood, burning too cool, too much heat loss in the flue, or all the above.

Glazed creosote very flammable.

Well I HAD a leeky gasket and fires were burning hot and fast, just fixed it. I was burning green ash but now have a nice of ash. beach, and birtch and it seems to be doing much better (clean glass). The "tar was only on the cap. The stuff in the pipe was the flakey stuff..

How thick is the flakey stuff and how much wood has been burned so far. It sounds like the flue may be due for a cleaning.

Don't get complacent, the creosote is still there. You can't burn it out with "good wood", you need to clean it up. The flakey stuff BeGreen is a;uding to is the very real issue. Don't take this lightly, it needs your attention.

avanderheuel said:
Well I HAD a leeky gasket and fires were burning hot and fast, just fixed it. I was burning green ash but now have a nice of ash. beach, and birtch and it seems to be doing much better (clean glass). The "tar was only on the cap. The stuff in the pipe was the flakey stuff..

But what is this ash, beech and birch like? Are you buying this wood? Are you depending upon the seller's word that it is ready to burn? If so, don't. Wood sellers simply don't have the time and room to let their wood dry. Wood won't dry until it is split and most wood sellers split and load the truck for delivery then. So if you buy wood, buy now for burning next year. If any oak, buy for 3 years ahead as that stuff seasons really slow.

I also agree. Get the chimney cleaned and keep it that way, even if you have to clean it 4-5 times this year or more.

You can take heart in that one winter we burned only freshly cut and split ash. No, we did not freeze but there were a few times it got a bit uncomfortable because the wood did not burn well. We also cleaned the chimney many times that winter. I would not want to do that again! The point is that it can be done but don't expect things to work too great. You become very familiar with your stove if burning less than dry wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.