Tarm 30 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bad LP

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Maine
Will call Tarm next week but thought I'd toss this out here first.

I have a few questions:

1) 4 times so far this weekend the fan shuts off due to hitting the limit on flue gas temp but when the temp lowers the fan did not automatically turn it self back on. Hard to believe this is normal. Temp is adjustable but factory high set is 249 and that's where I have it set. Sometimes the flue gas can hit 350 and the fan keeps running. Personally I have no problem with a higher flue gas temp. I'm thinking bad sensor but realize it could also be a relay on the board. Thoughts?

2) When cooling down from the above I'm getting condensate leaking from the flue collar joint from the stove to the first section of pipe. I've got pitch in the pipe and the joints are not sealed. Total pipe length is less than 4 feet and has a barometric damper installed and dumps into a 8X8 clay liner. Chimney is internal to the house and about 35' tall. Wood is 18-23% MC measured on fresh splits.

Stove is in my basement workshop and the tanks are enclosed in a very tight well insulated room. I'm going to have to open the windows to work down there. It's 74 when its normally 60. Hopefully in the winter it's a bit cooler

Could still be possible that your large chimney hasn't developed a draft if this is the beginning of your burn season. That's a lot of masonry.

It may be a lot of masonry but it has never had any problem drafting. Prior to the boiler it had 2 wood stoves installed over the past 10 years with zero problems. The boiler does not act like it has a problem drafting.

I didn't realize the fans would shut down with flue temp? I have no Tarm experience though. Would think it would be boiler temp - but maybe that is considered also? My loading unit is controlled by flue temp.

249 is not very high. Interested to see the outcome.

I didn't realize the fans would shut down with flue temp? I have no Tarm experience though. Would think it would be boiler temp - but maybe that is considered also? My loading unit is controlled by flue temp.

249 is not very high. Interested to see the outcome.
I agree its not that high. Had many controlled kindling burns to clear out the crud with both wood stoves that were in that flue. Tile was very clean at last inspection.