TARM 60 burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nushagak

Mar 21, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
Wondering what type of burn times Tarms 60 owners are getting with their unit's.
Thanks for the information.

Nushagak.
Fairbanks, Alaska

Not getting any response here..... I suspect you all want more information or you get this question a lot. I have been researching a wood boiler for the last year and I'm ready to make the move. I was torn between the Tarm and the Eko. We decided to go with the Tarm Solo 60, ( I think) as a add on to our oil boiler. I will not be using a water storage, we plan to burn wood from late September to early May, probably about 8.5 months a year. I will be burning Spruce and Birch dry wood of course. Our home is about 50/50 slab heat and baseboard. I was told by Tarm I could expect a bit more burn time out of the Solo 40 than the 60, but the 40 dosent sound like it will carry the heat load.

For those of you that have a Tarm Solo 60 will it burn through the night or while you're at work? I will be burning Spruce and Birch dry wood of course.

Buying heating oil in Alaska has gone through the roof, we spent 6300.00 in the last 12 months. We heat 3200 sf, well insulated but -45 for weeks at a time really draws the heat out and is does get even colder here. We see a lot of -15 to -25, very common. I can only imagine what it will cost to heat next winter with out a wood gasification boiler installed.

Thanks in advance,
Nushagak
Fairbanks, Alaska

Welcome to the Boiler Room, Nushagak. We have quite a few Alaskan members. I guess there's no mystery about why that is.

I can't speak for the Solo 60, but I do have an EKO 60 without storage and I can get 8-10 hours out of a load in cold weather with no problem. I have about 3,000 square feet of old farmhouse with fair insulation in a reasonably cold climate. We don't usually get down to -45, but it can hover around zero for extended periods. And that's keeping the house between 75 and 80 and heating all DHW.

I suspect that a 60KW boiler would work in your situation, especially with storage to get you through those really cold nights. The more heat you can stash, the more time you can buy between loads.

My Tarm 40, I think a smaller firebox than the 60, will burn about 4-5 hours on a load of pine. The burn will be on the short end if return water from storage is 120 or lower, as I load storage from a plate hx and at this temp the hx will take all the heat the 40 can deliver. Above 120 return temp the 40 will start come cycling, and burn time is on the long end.

I think most of the gasifiers go 4-6 hours at full burn which is the reason for storage. I'm burning 1 load a day now so I guess my burn time is 24 hours, during cold season I was burning 2 loads. Your burn time is going to relate to your heat loss. Eric when is that 1,000 gallon of hot water storage (pending) going to say (operating)????

Status
Not open for further replies.