Tarm door leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
I just replaced my upper door gasket on my Tarm solo40. I couldn't get it to seal. I removed the bolt holding the door spring clip or whatever it's called and noticed it's worn out to about half its thickness.
This causes the door to have less closing tension.
The worn area can't be seen from the outside. Its where the door latch rubs against it.
I was really surprised to see the amount of wear. That would cause the door to loosen up.
Anyone with the Tarm ought to check it out.

Thanks Chuck.
The another hidden item that I look at once a year is the fan. Shut off electric supply and unbolt whole fan assembly. Then you take off the intake grill and squirrel cage fan is accessible. I use a tooth brush to brush off ash from blades.

For the Tarm and maybe latch wear points on all doors, use a bit of anti-sieze compound to lubricate the contact rub points. Now in my 5thyear and I notice some wear on my door latch. My fix, when needed, will be a touch of spot weld metal and then file it to the proper thickness and contour.

I was surprised to find that the latch spring had worn by more than 50% and would have eventually completely failed.
I'm going to check the latch itself. I'll bet that is worn too.
Compare the top door to the bottom, in my case the bottom door pulls much tighter, it's less worn.

For the Tarm and maybe latch wear points on all doors, use a bit of anti-sieze compound to lubricate the contact rub points. Now in my 5thyear and I notice some wear on my door latch. My fix, when needed, will be a touch of spot weld metal and then file it to the proper thickness and contour.

Jim, did you ever do this? I notice that the door clip that the latch contacts is worn in one spot like Chuck above. I rotated the clip and the tension and thus latch pressure is greater but still see some smoke on the hinge side of door. Wondering if gasket worn out on this edge and or if door needs additional adjustment. Your thoughts?

Ken, still my original gasket and the door still seals well. I have needed to bend the clip a little to get a tight seal, I have not rotated the clip. To bend the clip all I did was take a hammer and pound it lightly towards the door frame, and then the latch again grabbed the door tightly.

Reactions: flyingcow
Thanks Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.