Tarm First Year: Efficiency Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

May 21, 2008
NH
I can not give you all the temp and gauge info.. such as flue temp.. I have yet to get a flue therm. However... I am just curious as to a general idea... a range. I have the Tarm 40 Solo Plus. Install this year. It has been fun learning about it.. and of course using it.. savings are great and the hot water is awesome... with 3 athletic kids who shower all the time. Anyways... what kind of efficienceis am i getting? I know the top can be near 87.... but what is my low? What is the lowest rating if alot of things are at the low end of spectrum? LIke heat exchange tubes are dusty... and wood is not great. Not that I have this problem.. I was just curious ... to see. Kind of like... no one ever tells you what your oil boiler is rated at when it is dirty... they always tell you after cleaning it is at 83 or 85.... BUt they never say... well.. BEFORE i cleaned it you were running at 75 efficient. ANy thoughts?

It is a very complex and difficult task to get an accurate efficiency number, and there are many variables that must be controlled. Not something you can really do at home.

However, you CAN determine relative efficiency to some degree. Safe bet that lower flue temps relative to combustion temps are a good thing, visible smoke is a bad thing, and so on.

I think it would be a frustrating exercise to think about the low side rather than the positives, like oil being saved, lots of hot water, warm house, etc. IMO get the flue probe thermometer soon, as at a glance will tell you relative burn efficiency. For me, 400-550 (each time I mention this I probably say a slightly different number for the high side) on the probe is sweetness. Next, brush the hx tubes on a schedule, like every two weeks or so, or when you notice the flue temp rising out of the ordinary. Clean ash out of the firebox from time to time, clean out the ceramic gasifier tunnel regularly, clean ash from the bottom from time to time. All is easy is quick. Then burn baby burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.