Tarm HS pellet boiler - remote mounting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbulator

Dec 2, 2011
Western PA
I am finally getting closer to purchasing my mothers large old farm house. Its taken years due to a very complicated divorce, but its finally coming to an end. It has been remodeled inside with new windows.... Currently it has a Chappee wood/coal/oil boiler and an electric boiler backup.

Last year I purchased a brand new Tarm HS pellet boiler for a great price...It has been stored since.

I plan on building a new detached 4 car garage about 50 feet away. My question - could I put the Tarm HS in the garage and run PEX lines into the house? It would be very convenient for pellet storage, etc...I would probably even build a walled lean-to off the garage for pellet storage.

The house isnt currently zoned, so I am going to re-do that in the basement so it has 4 zones - basement, first floor, 2nd floor, and a zone for the garage...

I would like to possibly put the Tarm in the garage if that is feasible? I dont see how it would be any different than having an outdoor wood boiler?

Thanks!!

Garages are fine IF you build a separate room to contain the boiler in and you have to enter the "boiler room" from the outside of the garage. Anywhere that you may have gasoline (flammables) stored whether in a vehicle or a container, is not a location that you are able to have the boiler located. You may want to check with your insurance and see what they allow as well as your building inspector.

I wouod post this in the Boiler room also. Lots more experience over there on this subject. Looking forward to install pics.

Thanks for the info. I won't be starting the project until spring 2013 at the earliest. Good point on insurance and code inspector.

I had planned on the "boiler room" being separated. This will be a fun build. I might even put the Chappee in the garage boiler room too, and keep the electric boiler in the basement.....or might keep the Chappee in the basement, but it makes some wood smoke smell...not sure yet.

I put my pellet boiler in my pole barn about 90 feet from the house. Works perfectly. Use good insulated ox barrier pex, go for the larger diameter. As Andrew said, check out the boiler discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.