tarm Install Begins Today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

May 21, 2008
NH
And so it begins. I had to move 2 oil tanks and one water heater to make room for the Tarm to be hooked up to the SS chimney. Well.. the plumber who is there today moved the water heater.. and is putting the tarm in position now. I am giddy. Can't wait to get home to see the progress. Any one want to estimate how long it will take until I can make my first burn? My plumber says they should be ready in a few days. They are also adding a new zone to my living room with 30 ft of baseboard in there. They will be using some of hte parts of my now defunct radiant zone. Radiant heat in a cathedral ceiling living room( 30 foot high at peak) did not work well. Even with fans. Tarm... tarm... tarm. Like a Mantra i can't turn off. Stay tuned.

I remember that giddiness - welcome to the club.

In my case, I had a marathon plumbing party over a two day period. Had to unplumb the oil boiler and most of the zone valves, move the oil boiler, move in the wood boiler, and get everything threaded and soldered and wired. Seemed like there was always a mountain of things to be done, and the mountain wasn't getting any smaller. Suddenly, we all looked at each other and it got real quiet. There wasn't anything left to do. Did a double check, then lit the first fire. It was great, and it hasn't gotten less great since. Saving 720 gallons of oil every year and loving it.

Well, a few days is a small price to pay. Enjoy the anticipation.

And, I seldom can even imagine a reason to disagree with NoFossil, but saving 750 gals? In That size house? Way up here in VT? Naw, you're saving 1000+, even if some savings are better windows, insul, etc., and by being a reliable contributor on here, well.... that's "priceless"". So it's ok with me if you claim "thousands of gals", and in a few years we can all talk in Tankerloads...

2.68 for regular at my local gas station, on the day before Obama is elected? Forget it Texans, you're too late to sway this election. (Sorry to make this political, but it is...) My bumper sticker says "Give Texas back!". VOTE!

Al

Went home yesterday and the Tarm was getting closer to being hooked up. Can't wait to get home today. I have to remember to take pics and post them. When I first started this journey of getting a system to heat my whole house.. I was leaning towards buying a OWB. that would of been a big mistake. Thankfully I stumbled upon this site and the good people of Tarm(Bioheat) in Lyme NH. The collective intelligence on this site is amazing. Thank goodness for the " Regulars " on this site. Maybe the owner should give you guys a stipend? Whoa... hope I didn't open up a door there....

Even closer today. The overheat loop is almost done ( electric off loop ). Almost there. Maybe another day or 2? I am buying the pipe today to hook up to the SS chimney. I will need to put a 90 right off the back of the Tarm. Hope this is ok.

Oh... forgot to mention... how do you test the Tarm boiler when the temp outside is 60? Do I open the doors and windows and turn up all the thermostats as high as they will go? Will this be enough draw on the system? NOt that i am compaining about 60 temps... it is nice weather here for November.

Glad to see someone else is making progress. It will be a race to see who has the first fire. Which Tarm did you get?
I'll be working on mine some more tonight and tomorrow to try to get it finished. Right now I do as much as I can then stop at Home Depot on the way home the next day for more parts. With luck I might be able to fire it up Friday morning. ( the wife would like that, we haven't had hot water since last Friday)

Good luck!!

Greg H

FWIW I ordered mine (Excel 2000) June 7 and it came in on Aug 26. Course I didn't pick it up until Nov 2.

I ordered in April or May? Picked up in June. Put it in teh back of my 1 ton and took it out with my Massey bucket. Put it into walkout basement. Moved it on steel pipe. It sat until this week... install this week. Had to wait for 2 things... the plumber and my wallet was low. Hoping to recoup my expenditures in 3-5 years? Also really, really want pressurized storage. It just makes no sense to me to have this thing and not be able to use it year round. Have the acres and wood.. so just makes sense to me to use it as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.