Tarm lo-limit fan switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we have solved my problem. Turned the lo limit fan control to 100 as jebatty recommends and lifted the probe/sensor wire up above the insulation cover. I come back into my shop each morning after a fire and the fan is off. heat in the storage tank is at 179F, life is good. Thanks Jim and Chris. Sweetheat

and lifted the probe/sensor wire up above the insulation cover.

You're almost done. Now gently stretch out the wire and insert the probe into the tube on the right front side of the smoke box, as you are facing the front of the boiler. This tube is easy to miss, but look and you will see it. It holds the probe in the smoke box and protects it.

Glad that you sorted this out. It took me a long time also.

Jim, the probe is in the correct spot, top right side of the boiler placed vertically into the smoke chamber. correct me if I'm wrong. Just checked and I do not need a fire tonight, storage tank is at 170/160/ 140. 2 days on a full load of wood! Thanks sweetheat

How sweet it is! I like the 100C setting better than the 90C, particularly when charging storage up to 190F. The fan stayed on much longer at 90C with nothing left to burn in the firebox. I also have the fan lo-limit control the boiler/storage circulator, so when the fan shuts off, the charging circulator also shuts off. I do this through a relay so the Tarm control is only energizing the relay coil and not switching the added current of the circ.

Not being a boiler/plumber/heater geek this is where it gets confusing for me. You have pressurized storage and charge to 190F I have unpressurized with copper coil exchangers and charge to 180F. My main taco circulator can send heat to the storage and or the zone or both. If temps are 180F in the storage tank no circulating is happening to storage, but if the zone calls for heat it either come from the boiler, if there is a fire, or the storage depending on where the heat is. So for me to limit my main taco circulator the same as the lo-limit fan like you do, seems counter productive. My understanding of the process in layman's terms. Being a carpenter geek I did not set the system up. I need a patient person to show me by arrows on each pipe the direction of flow and circulation. My in-floor zone runs at 100F from another smaller grundfos circulator. Thanks for your patience with my dyslexia. Sweetheat

Does anyone have a picture of the location of the probe your talking about and where it is supposed to be??

I need a patient person to show me by arrows on each pipe the direction of flow and circulation.

Mine is simple. The boiler circ operates only to charge storage, and the boiler operates only to charge storage. I have one zone only, an in-floor radiant zone. That operates completely separate from the boiler loop. A call for heat for the floor operates a separate circulator that draws hot water from the top of storage and returns to bottom.

Does anyone have a picture of the location of the probe your talking about and where it is supposed to be?

Upper right of smoke box, silver tube-wire going into smoke box, bulb is in the fitting in the smoke box.

Attachments

• DSCN1738.jpg
    DSCN1738.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN1739.jpg
    DSCN1739.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 141
Status
Not open for further replies.